Check List - What is missing ?

inet-projects

Guys,

Apologies I live in Germany and I have been yearning for a Reef since I left England 10 Years ago, I managed to find a resonably priced shop today, and nearly understood what I am about to buy.

My take is to get the tank up and running Live Sand & Live Rock and then test etc to the correct levels.

Equipment Starter Check list. (All in Metric)

160x60x60 Tank drilled in 2 back corners

Stand for the above custom built to allow Skimmer to fit inside 160x60x80

Filter Sump 70/40/50

Thermometer

6x Ehiem Compact 1000 Pumps

1 x Newatt NJ 1700 for pump circulation

Heater

1x 150 Seaclone Protein Skimmer

HQI ALU Lighting System

PVC Plumming for the above.

Live Reef Sand Need to purchase this somewhere else

Live Rock, need to purchase this somewhere else.

What I am I missing in this shopping list to get me started ?

Thanks

Dave

BoomerD

Trying to convert that into US measure is way too much work for me now, so I'll just say that the Sea Clone skimmer is not a good one. Being in Germany, you have MUCH BETTER choices available to you. H&S and Deltec are the first two that come to mind...
DEFINITELY get a better skimmer. Your tank will thank you for it.

Gibeon

BoomerD, If those are centimeters, it's a 150 Gallon tank (give or take). (52"x24"x24")

Inet - Don't forget an RO/DI filter system for water change and top-off water.

inet-projects

Gibeon,

Thanks for that, but I understood that depends on the water quality in your area, I will check with the local shop he should be able to advise what the quality is like here in Munich.

Thanks

Dave

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Welcome to RS Dave !

6x Ehiem Compact 1000 Pumps

1 x Newatt NJ 1700 for pump circulation

How many lts. per hour are both of these pumps ? I would recommend the Tunze stream for ciculation.

HQI ALU Lighting System

How many HQI bulbs and what is the wattage does it have actinic lights for dusk/dawn effect ?

it's a 150 Gallon tank (give or take). (52"x24"x24")

63x24x31

This is a tall tank I recommend at least 2-250w HQI's

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Hi Dave and welcome to RS, live rock from several sources to ensure diversity, suger sand will be live the same day you add rock (save your money for a bubbleking LOL) we love foreign films so send us some pics, happy hunting Steve

BoomerD

Looks like we're using different calculators around here...I get 62.99X23.62X23.62. NOT allowing for wall thickness, that works out to 154.54 gallons. ;)

So...2X250 watt MH would do a pretty good job, with a nicely lit center, and slightly dimmer ends. Nice for some of the corals that prefer less light.

Gibeon

BoomerD said:
Looks like we're using different calculators around here...I get 62.99X23.62X23.62.

Psst, BoomerD, it looks like we both need reading glasses... that last number it seems is eighty, not sixty. I could have sworn it was a 60...until I checked the 3rd time :)

inet-projects

Guys,

For confirmation the Tank Size is 160 x 60 x 60 cm which is 63x23.6x23.6 in inches.

I make that about 155 Gallons.

Regards

Dave

BoomerD

Gibeon said:
Psst, BoomerD, it looks like we both need reading glasses... that last number it seems is eighty, not sixty. I could have sworn it was a 60...until I checked the 3rd time :)

160x60x60 Tank drilled in 2 back corners

/me thinks Gib is looking at the stand dimensions...

inet-projects

Ro/di

Books back out again.....

The RO Units seem to have alot of wastage yet a couple of pre filters with the DI seem to do te trick and have no wastage.

Any comments on this ?

Regards

Dave

BoomerD

RO units DO waste a lot of water. Depending on the unit, the ratio can be 3:1 or 6:1 (waste:product water) If your water is good enough, (low in TDS, low in nitrates, phosphates, no nasty chemicals) then DI CAN work for you. You also have the option of the Kold-Steril units.
http://www.poly-bio-marine.com/
Basically, a chemical/mechanical filtration unit, that uses Poly Bio-Marine's Poly filters as it's media. Several of the local reefers use it with varying degrees of success, but many of them have made the switch to RO/DI because they get better water, inspite of the waste.