Cheap bulk carbon?

tommyp

Does anyone know of a source for this? I was thinking that it must be cheaper outside of the aquarium trade but an not finding much.

tom

BoomerD

I wouldn't recommend it if it were garbage Gussy. Supposedly as phosphate free as carbon can be...(is there any TRUELY phosphate free carbon?) So far, I haven't heard any complaints, and I'm sure, if there were ANY problems with it, there would be dozens if not hundreds of complaints on RC or the other forums.

tommyp

I am zone 8 :(

Thanks for the link I looked at that site before but couldn't figure out where the products were. The web designer should be taken out back.

Tom

dwall174

tommyp said:
I am zone 8 :(
I looked at that site before but couldn't figure out where the products were. The web designer should be taken out back.

Click on the "Back Link" at the bottom of the page!

United Manufacturing International
5820 Stoneridge Mall Road #100
Pleasanton, CA 94588
Tel: 510 886-1823
Fax: 888 298-6139
umi@activatedcarbon.com

fishcrazy

That link says that it is pelletized. Pelletized Carbon is almost always Vapor Phase Carbon and not Liquid Phase Carbon. Will it work? Somewhat. However, just not very effectively.

Acid-washed GAC contains very little P because the acid removes the ash content. It also stops the pH problems that GAC had in the past. They don't say if it is acid-washed or not.

Regardless, it is always good practice to rinse well for particulates and soak in RO/DI water either way.