Charyabb's Red Creatures

charyabb

I need some help. I have an infestation of small creatures on my live rock and on my sand at the base of the live rock. I thought that they were little pieces of red algae....but in looking closely they appear to be little red bugs. They moved when ever a hermit or snail got near them. They multipled quickly and are now all over my rock. They don't seem to be hurting anything...and the corals are doing fine.....but there are infesting my rock. Any ideas what these might be. I can try to post a picture for better ID.

Please help. :bouncebox

IMG_3958.JPG

Last edited:

BoomerD

Pics would definitely be of help. Red bugs that come to mind, are the SPS red bugs, and red flatworms, althoug they aren't very tiny, and neither are likely to move for hermits.
Red Acoel flatworms:
Acoel%20flatworms%20on%20soft%20coral%20(PB).jpg

Red Acro bugs
Red-Bugs-on-Acro.jpg

charyabb

Sorry...what does SPS mean? (I am not good with the lingo :columbo: )

My bio has pictures of my corals. Xenia, sea polyps, mushrooms, and a flower pot.

charyabb

The first picture kind of looks like what I have. They don't really move around that much....but I noticed that my hermit crabs have some on there shells...and that might be how they are spreading so quickly. I had one person say that the only way to get ride of them is to syphon them out with water changes :bouncebox

BoomerD said:
Pics would definitely be of help. Red bugs that come to mind, are the SPS red bugs, and red flatworms, althoug they aren't very tiny, and neither are likely to move for hermits.
Red Acoel flatworms:
Acoel%20flatworms%20on%20soft%20coral%20(PB).jpg

Red Acro bugs
Red-Bugs-on-Acro.jpg

Warnberg

:LOL:

I believe that is Small polyp stony and Large polyp stony

If you have flat worms get yourself some flatworm exit and treat the tank, an addition of a 6 line wrasse may help keep them in check. If it's red bugs do a search on red bugs, there should be a treatment for those as well.

Good luck

gussy

The flat worms don't move around too much too. If you have lots of them and pay attention there will be a few that will be moving fast while the rest will just sit still.

charyabb

Does anyone know what this stuff is? I updated the first post in the Thread with a picture.

Anyone? Anyone?
:bouncebox

Warnberg

Wow, ya got me on that one. If they move when something comes buy or you can scare them I would say they are not flat worms. Red bugs are usually found on corals. You say they are multiplying? Try to get yourself a camera with macro focus ability and get a good shot of one.