Charyabb's 110 gallon Reef Tank

charyabb

I will post another pictures of the "guts" of the tank tomorrow. I just got a new filter and new protein skimmer. WOW...my new protein skimmer pulls out all kinds of crap in the water. Best one I have ever owned. I will check the name tonight post it with the pic (in case anyone else out there is looking for a new skimmer).

:whstlr:

charyabb

Does anyone know anything about clams? I am thinking of adding one to the bottom of my tank. I know that I have enough lighting....and the right food....but is there anything else that I should know before I spend the money? :bouncebox

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Barry Neigut

First of all, make sure that your aquarium has been established long enough to support the needs of your new addition. A good indication of your aquarium’s suitability for Tridacnids is a nice growth of coralline algae. Such growth usually occurs 6 months to a year after your aquarium has been established.

Make sure that your fish and invertebrates are compatible with Tridacnids. Some cleaner wrasses have proven to be destructive to clams, nibbling on their mantles and otherwise preventing full expansion. Other fishes may also harass clams. For example, I once had a Copperband Butterfly that was introduced into an established aquarium that contained clams. It never bothered the clams at all, until one day I placed a few new clams into the aquarium and he attacked them within moments. Observation and careful selection of fishes is critical if you tend to be successful with clams.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/cav1i3/Clam_care/Clam_care.htm

charyabb

Here is my setup down below. New filter and protein skimmer.

IMG_3959.JPG

WaiWiliki

Looks good underneath... How is the new filter and skimmer working? And why am I not suprised there are bricks on the wall of your new place. :thumbup: I bet it looks real nice.

charyabb

New filter and skimmer works really well. I needed more space for my new protien skimmer. The little SeaLogic that I had was filling up every 3-4 hours...it was for a 50 gallon tank. This one can skim 200 gallons....and pulls all kinds of crap out of the water.

I bought a Clam (4") and a Flame Angle this weekend. I noticed that my Pulsing Xenia was not doing so well....so I moved it closer to the bottom....I think my lights were too strong to have it that high up on the tank....but who knows. I am doing water changes every month and putting in the right chemicals...and have no idea why it is struggling. Everything else is doing great though. :thumbup:

charyabb

I buried a rock under the Clam and it has attached to that.

Roger on that one!! :thumbup:

The Flame Angle has left the clam alone so far but I will watch its behavior....thanks for the heads up. :)