Changing Gravel

AJinNY

I was never loving my gravel.
It started out white, since medicating the tank, many of the stones turned green and Im not sure that will go away.

When I change gravel can I just do so in one full swoop? I mean, the beneficial bacteria is in the filter media, so this shouldnt disturb things....or will it?

When I put the new gravel in, should I throw a few stone of the old gravel in too toget the bacteria growing quicker?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
is the gravel set up as an undergravel filter? if it is changing it all at once will create a problem

AJinNY

is the gravel set up as an undergravel filter? if it is changing it all at once will create a problem

the gravel is on the bottom and the water goes through slats on the bottom which gets pumped up to the top which THEN goes through the filter medium....the filter is on top, gravel on bottom, so then it shouldnt be a problem, right?

or just in case should i throw a pack of biospira in when i change the gravel?

PEMfish

Can't use sand with a under gravel filter. Do the change completely and slowly. In 3 parts +/-, be sure to not mix the gravel.

ramora

In theory you could use sand if you use a gravel tidy over gravel and put sand on top. also I would consider a canister filter much more efficient also
with live plants much easier to camoflouge. I have a fluval 404 that all it needs is a new impeller cover and a few new suction cups new pads,the bio balls i'll throw in for free.