Changing Filter Media

kathya0321

Hi,

I am currently using a Eshopps sponge and Matrix Carbon for my filter. I want to clean my sponge when I change my carbon, but I am afraid I will wash away good bacteria. Also is it ok to use reusable filter bags to put the carbon in?

Snid

I've read that a lot of people only remove half their carbon when changing in new to allow the existing bacteria on the un-removed half to seed the new carbon added. I'm now using this approach myself on reusable filter bags.

DaveK

I've read that a lot of people only remove half their carbon when changing in new to allow the existing bacteria on the un-removed half to seed the new carbon added. I'm now using this approach myself on reusable filter bags.

Some people do that, but it's really not needed on a SW reef system. That's because of all the live rock in the system. You just don't need what is on the carbon, and in fact, the bacteria coat can get in the way, because it can block the carbon from doing it's job of absorbing stuff. When I change carbon on my reef, it's 100%.

Now if we were talking about a FW system or a SW system that didn't have the benifits of live rock, it would be a different story. There you may need the biological filtration that occurs from the bacteria on the carbon.

Snid

Thanks for the +1 to Dave's response Topline. I totally missed it and it makes perfect sense.

+1 to Dave as well from em, and with little effort, he has convinced me to do the same. Logic is logical.