Change all tubing yearly?

nanodoc

My RSM 250 is 1 year old now ( woohoo!) , the right pump is connected to a chiller using clear vinyl tubing. Actually everything is the same, also to the pumps, with 2 hose clamps on each end. I was told to change the tubing once a year to prevent disasters, at the same time disassemble and rinse off all the pumpsfrom calcium deposits etc.
My tank is working great, everything is functioning well, I can see thru the clear tubing and there is no buildup as far as I can see. Is it really necessary to change the tubing?
Would like to know what your opinion is about this, change the tubing yes or no, and how often?
Thanks!

theplantman

I have a 34 Solana not RSM but I have the same clear tubing on mine and it has been running strong and that tubing is 4 years old. The only reason I could see changing tubing is if it is exposed in any way to UV light, lets say from a metal halide fixture. This can break down plastic pipes. I would inspect all the connections and make sure there are no frays, but don't see a reason to change it out after a year. Hopefully some RSM owner will chime in for you.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Congrats on your ONE YEAR Tankaversary!! I've read posts that say you really need to empty out & flush your chiller yearly but I'd think a simple sight & feel evaluation of the tubing would be good. So, +1 for me not changing it out in only a years time.

Choff

Gratz on a year!

2 concerns with the tubing; algae/build up and along the lines of the uv exposure the tubing will start to breakdown/relax. The area I would be most concerned about are the connections. If you have some slack, you may want to cut the ends off and reconnect the hose barbs + hose clamps for fresh tight seal. Otherwise if they look clean I see no need to replace.

As for the chiller, you should back flush it for 30 min once a year. I actually just did this for the first time and was amazed at what came out.

All I did was take a 5 gal bucket of RO water and dropped in an 600gph pump. Hooked that up in the opposite direction of the normal flow and let it run. I was shocked at how much crap instantly came flying out. I quickly stuck a filter sock on the outflow so it didn't keep recirculating through the chiller.

I thought it was going to be a much more involved process running vinegar solution etc, but the jbj Site said to just do this. It was shockingly easy and I plan doing it probably every 6 months based on what I just saw.

Hope that helps.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

nanodoc

thanks for all the great feedback!
That's shocking about the chiller. I have a JBJ too. Excellent pearl, might be worth a stickie!