Chaeto question!?!

Hey guys!

I just returned from vacation yesterday and dont worry i have a few pictures to post but well all have to wait a little while for those!

I have a question about my chaeto...in places it seems to be getting lighter and lighter...it was very dark in many areas and im not sure if this means anything?

also, i have found that on my chaeto the strands go green white, green white...as if the chaeto is suppost to be striped...i understand that what i am saying is weird but i dont know what it means?

Any help would be great! And, i had no problums with my tank while on vacation!

Thanks!

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Chaetomorpha can go sexual, releasing all stored nutrients and spores into the water column (not good!). I am not certain yours is doing that... do you have sufficient lighting for it? Have you been pruning it?

I would remove any faded/lightened areas immediately from the water.

i have never pruned it b/c i thought i would just let it grow until i have to prun it!

The lighting overtop is a 96 watt qaud light that is generally on for 15 hrs a day...while i was on vaca it was on 24/7 for 7 days...

also, is there a way i can tell that my chaeto is going sexual if it was?

Thanks!

Nicholas

(Chaetomorpha can go sexual, releasing all stored nutrients and spores into the water column (Not True!).)

Chaetomorpha will not go sexual. It is more like a sea grass. Not like common Caulerpa. I am looking for some articles now, to exlain the difference.

Nicholas

Quote:
Chaetomorpha is a durable macro algae but unlike Caulerpa, it does not produce a number of substances which can create problems for corals in closed systems and does not go sexual by releasing it's reproductive products and nutrients back into the water column which would degrade water quality. It does not grow that aggresively like some other Caulerpa by overtaking your tank and it's inhabitants with rapid growth. That's why it's my personal favorite macroalgae along with Razor Caulerpa. Chaetomorpha is more stable and not overly invasive, and easy to harvest. All in all, Chaetomorpha is a much better macro algae for nutrient export purposes. It is easily grown in a sump or refugium with inexpensive 24/7 flourescent lighting. I have found it grows even faster in a refugium with a 'slow upwards water movement' using a very small pump. The refugium should spill water back into you sump. Since adding the Chaetomorpha Macro Algae, my refugium is now home to many tiny detrivores which include copepods, bristle worms, mysid shrimps, and brittle stars which all play a significant role in cleansing the system. The water quality has improved so much that there are now many tiny white and red feather dusters growing out the small pieces of live rock in the refugium. Chaetomorpha Macro Algae is also a great source of nutirtion for Tangs

This is just one of many descriptions of Chaetomorpha. I have been using it for years.
from http://www.fnzas.org.nz

P.S. It does come in various dif shades. I have a very light and a very dark piece.

http://www.biol.tsukuba.ac.jp/~inouye/ino/g/ulv/ulv_pic2.html

Nicholas

I would say that it is fine.
I have the lights on my refugium 24/7.
The only time to prune is when you want to remove nutrients or clear the pumps. I would let it fill the fuge then remove 1/2, let grow back and repeat.