Chaeto and culepra

Rooshi

Evening all

So I have culepra (if I'm spelling that right) and been given a load of chaeto but not a lot room in my sump

So what do I do as I'm worried that the culepra will die and pollute if the chaeto blocks the light

Not sure chaeto will grow

Do I risk it and just remove all the culepra so the chaeto can roll properly and spread out

I hope that paints the picture

Thanks

Rooshi

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
I got rid of my Caulerpa after 1 week because it started getting into my pumps and DT. I would get rid of it and use the Chaeto alone.

Rooshi

Yeah I read. Few people lost pumps etc tbh I have had mine nearly two years and never had it get into any pumps

I do harvest it every couple of weeks - well I used too (doesn't seem to grow as fast anymore)

Bit worried that if I remove it all and the chaeto doesn't survive what would happen to the balance of the system?

Will it crash ?
What exactly would/could happen if no algae in the sump?

Thanks

engineer goby

If you had it for 2 years without a problem I would leave things alone. If it aint broke don't fix it.

Rooshi

Yeah I hear you but why not improve it?
Better the system as much as I can without taking a loan out or winning the lottery

engineer goby

The chaeto will do the same thing the caulerpa is doing. I like chaeto because it's a nice somewhat neat ball that doesn't have the threat of going sexual. I've had bad luck with Caulerpa as it got into my pumps and display tank. Lucky for me my Hippo tang ate it right away.

Rooshi

I read a lot of people are scared and don't like it!

Funny thing is when I was new to the hobby I never had a sump and never really new much about it but ha it growing in my main display - I did harvest it weekly when doing a water change - it grew very well!!

Lights used to go off overnight
Luckily I never had any issues

I keep it in my sump with 24/7 lighting now but it does. Make me wonder

Nothing in the wild manages to get 24/7 lighting so why is it this way in the sump

Thanks

engineer goby

Like I said earlier if it's not broken don't fix it keep doing what your doing if it's working for you

Rooshi

Not really working tbh nitrates through the roof and nitrite consistently at 0.25 api test :(

Couple of reasons why I want/need to better it

Built347

I read a lot of people are scared and don't like it!

Funny thing is when I was new to the hobby I never had a sump and never really new much about it but ha it growing in my main display - I did harvest it weekly when doing a water change - it grew very well!!

Lights used to go off overnight
Luckily I never had any issues

I keep it in my sump with 24/7 lighting now but it does. Make me wonder

Nothing in the wild manages to get 24/7 lighting so why is it this way in the sump

Thanks

I have all of my lights. Sump/scrubber/ all displays.. on the same schedule.. on and off at the same time... idk if this is proper but I have had good luck.. my cheato is flourishing and my scrubber is 1/2" of ha every 7-8 days.. everything is on @ 1 pm off at midnight...

Built347

If your trites and trates are up as bad as your saying I'd be changing that water furiously until you get a grasp on the situation... then move towards finding out why you have this problem... how old is this tank?

Rooshi

Right I have done this so this will help determine of the chaeto grows in my system 1st off and allows me to rotate it if needed 2nd I can lower the light/block it out a lot for the chaeto if it needs to without risking the dangers of the calupera:)

What you think?
5284d6eb-820a-0c0f.jpg

Rooshi

I have bad the tank for two years now

To be absolutely honest and at the risk of making some angry, I have always battled to get it and keep nitrites at 0 but never higher than the 0.25 ( this is just in case the next level up from 0)

Do a about as many water changes as I can/29 gallons a week minimum

Built347

So this system is 2 yrs old?... an your showing traces of nitrite?.. something is wrong... did the tank get a giant gulp of chlorine or something?.. I know first hand that a 20% w/c with un-dechlorinated water can start a mini cycle.. which would explain why you have traces of nitrites and high levels of nitrate... unless u are severely overfeeding..

Rooshi

I use RO water so shouldn't be any in it, more than likely down to me when I moved a lot of rock and replaced as it was covered in aiptasia and could kill them (just too many crevices)!

Will continue to increase water changes and reduce feeding and continue to monitor

Rooshi

Have had it in 24/7 this week just as it is in the picture but doesn't seemed to be doing anything

Will cover it from Sunday while tank lights are on and see if it makes any difference

Rooshi

Okay been covering as much as I can remember but not sure I see a massive difference but at the same time it hasn't died