center brace on 125 gal stand

flyline

ok i have a problem i can fit my sump under my stand unless i take out the center brace but im sorta scared to do it because i dont want to compermise the stand expecially once the tank is full of water, im going to put the brace back in after i get the sump in but im just scared that i might not do it right... im pretty sure it keeps the stand from colapsing outward once the tank is on it full of water...i need some help with this one thanks alot in advance for any advise

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You can't fit the sump in from the rear of the stand?

The problem is those stands are stapled together and if my memory severs, the brace staples are hidden by the trim adding another obstacle, removing any section brace in those stands can be tricky, it's hard to get it back in place and secure like it was originally.
I wouldn't do it. I have taken the ones between the doors out with no troubles but never the center brace.

My .02

flyline

no i cant go through the rear of the stand there is a brace there too, it doesent seem like anything is holding the center brace but a couple of staples because i gently tried to move it and it will twist a little i was thinking about knocking it out with a hammer because there is no obstacles holding it in then useing some screws to put it back in but if that is not a good idea i just wont do it... also the brace in the back is secured really well and actually nailed into the stand with trim around it so that would not be an option.

flyline

ok i was looking at it and it looks like it is only heald on by 4 staples 1 on each side of the top and 1 on each side of the bottom maybe this might help you guys give me some more opinions thanks

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Ok it's coming back to me know, the brace is stapled top down and just rests on the edges. Go it in that case I would knock it out but before doing that take a measurement just in case the stand spreads you can put it back exactly as it was.

I haven't seen one in a while so I forgot how they were stapled in place. Knowing that I would give it a try.

Eric

flyline

thanks for the reply eric i think im going to do it but im going to wait a little and see what other people have to say about it...i cant afford to have the stand break on me my wife would not be too happy with having 125 gal of saltwater all over the floor lol...i dont have staples like they put in so i was thinking about useing some screws from the underside of the brace and screwing it actually into the stand do you think that would be ok? it seems to me that it might be more secure after i do that than it is now

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You would have to screw it in place, the staples are great but unless you have a gun to put them back use screws. You way also want to pre drill the holes so the screws dF yUon't split the brace or the stand.

Other than being cautious I would say your good to go.

flyline

yep thats what i did i knocked out the center brace it came out really easy it was only held in by 4 little staples then put the sump in and put the brace back in useing 4 screws, to tell the truth the center brace seems WAY more solid than before...anyways thanks guys for the responces i really apreciate the help

DaveK

yep thats what i did i knocked out the center brace it came out really easy it was only held in by 4 little staples then put the sump in and put the brace back in useing 4 screws, to tell the truth the center brace seems WAY more solid than before...anyways thanks guys for the responces i really apreciate the help

OK, but...

What do you do if your sump breaks or leaks and you need to remove it to replace it or repair it?