Catching Chromis or Damsels

Adnuces

Does anyone have a good way to catch these little suckers when you have a tank full of rock? That is without dismantling the tank and rocK?

ScottT1980

A six pack of beer, some fishing line, some very small fly fishing hooks, some mysis shrimp, and a ton of patience.

You would be surprised how well this works (unless you are trying to snag a red-lipped blenny).

Take er easy
Scott T.

addict

LOL!

I was gonna suggest a 12-gauge shotgun, but fishing for them sounds like a lot more fun. :D

blue_eyes53813

I just caught two damsels today in my 265 gallon. Get a fish trap (from any petstore or online) it is a clear box/tube with a door.. I open the door and blow food into the trap and bing fish are in. I use a turkey baster because of course as soon as they see your hand they are gone. Point the baster at the door and push the door shut with the baster. I have about 20 fish in my tank and I could have caught them all in a short time.. The fish traps are kinda expensive but they work over and over.

addict

LOL... that reminds me of when I made a homemade mini Hawaiian Sling to try to get a black clown goby that was decimating my SPS polyps.

I straightened out a barbed treble hook, attached it to a bamboo skewer and rubberbanded it inside of one of those thick Bic pen bodies (so that it slid freely inside of it). I never managed to spear the guy though, but ended up catching it with a net later in the evening.

It did help me get out some of my aggression though. :D

addict

LOL... yeah, I tend to go a bit 'overboard' at times. :D

It's good to see ya Dave... it's been a while. :)

BigReepher

Get ya a clear 2 liter bottle. Cut the threaded end off leaving a hole large enough for the damsel to swim through easily. Then cut around the top of the label and take the label off. Turn the cut off top around creating a funneling effect into the 2liter, this also makes it increasingly difficult for the damsel to get out. You can use super glue to hold it together. I introduced the 2liter to the fish before I started feeding into it. It may take awhile for them to get used to the contraption. It worked for me on four out of five damsels, the last damsel is just too smart to be captured. He gets my utmost respect and is the lone resident in my 75. HTH

corvettephreek

how about taking a fish net, put some mysis or cyclopeeze into the net (really fine net for brine) and hang it about a half inch below the waterline. damsels are smart, and after picking at the bottom for a while they will get the hint to go up to the top of the net. then, after an almost sore arm, you can bring them out of the water. it takes them a while to get used to the net. good luck!!!

crushton

Okay - I am probably going to get an I told you so down the road - BUT my LFS guy told me that the yellow-tail damsels are the most docile. Yes I have posted about this before. I have decided to wait it out. I have 2 percula clowns and these two damsels. They all get along great. The damsels hide in the rock and the clowns hang out by the powerhead. I am "going shopping" this weekend for some tankmates. I guess I will see. I will keep you guys posted on the saga of "Tank Of Our Lives" - ha ha ha:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Adnuces

Update.....well after much much frustration and trying any and every home made trap known to reefdom I broke down and bought a fish trap. Within an hour I had all but one. The last one was a shy one, who probably would have done fine left in the tank but I was so mad I caught the little beggar and they are all now residing in my qt tank awaiting their trip to the lfs. There I will trade them in on a nice small yellow tang that will reside in said qt for 4 weeks before I move him to the big house......... all this said and done, I wouldn't have another chromis or damsel to save my life.

Thanks for all the ideas and some of the best laughs I have had in ages......happy reefing .....do aquariast's refer to themselves as reefers? hahaha aging myself I am.