carribean live rock pics ?

nickt

Anybody have pics of carribean rock? What does it look like? Does it resemble tonga, fiji, etc.. IS IT LIGHT OR HEAVY? DIFFERENT SHAPES, FLAT OR BOULDERS? Lots of color or what. I can get a great deal on the stuff but never seen it first hand. What do you think of it? Anybody with some pics? :bigbounce

clownmorph

Carribean live rock is also known as Haiti live rock. This rock is very light and very porous if it is truely Carribean rock. You have to be careful because some places sell Florida aquacultured live rock as Carribean/Haiti live rock. This rock is very fragile and breaks very easily. It is a wonderful rock to use if you can receive it without it coming to you in pieces.

corvettephreek

WOW!!! that stuff is soooo much different from the tonga branch and aquacultured stuff Ive seen in stores.... where didja find yours nickT???

clownmorph

This is what true Haiti/Carribean Live Rock looks like
http://www.etropicals.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=44&pCatId=1359

The other rock that is typically sold is aquacultured in Florida. You can tell the difference just by the look. The aquacultured is bulky and more "boulder" type where the Carribean/Haiti rock is plated and very pourous. Almost all of the vendors in Florida selling Carribean rock are selling aquacultured rock.

I suggest when you find a place you want to buy from ask them for pictures of the actual rock they will send you. Most stores will not have a problem doing this.

rckmtl

That's some nice looking rock!. I love it when there's a lot of ledges and holes and stuff, instead of just round-ish lumps.
The price on e-tropicals was awfully good. Is your deal better then that nickt? If so, did you find it from an on-line vendor?

nickt

International marine fish. Great price of 3 dollars a pound to your nearest airport !!!!!!! Ask for gary. Great guy. He sent me very big pieces about 17 inches or bigger. Lot's of holes and such. Good luck.