carpet anemone issues

jernst

I recently got a carpet anemone. Initially it attached to the substrate and fed when i gave it a fish. The next day it started rolling around. it's been about a week and sometimes it attaches and looks great but most times it's just rolling around. At night it tends to compact and sort of look inside out. Sometimes it a totally closed like a ball but most times it's open but not attached. it won't feed when i give it a fish but when i feed the corals it's tongue comes wide open like it's feeding.

My nitates are 2.0, my phosphates are 0 to .25, no ammonia or nitites. My calcium is 450 and py KH is 10. Any ideas?

Steve L

When nems move they usually don't like the lighting an/or water flow where they were. How long has your tank been set up? Anemones aren't for beginners and need a well established tank that's at least a year old with pristine water conditions, and even then they don't always survive.

DaveK

How long have you had the tank set up? How large is it? and what kind of lighting and filtration do you have?

Anemones require excellent quality water, a well established tank, and excellent lighting. Carpet anemones and generally considered more difficult that some of the others.

jernst

My tank is 75 gallons. 110 lbs of live rock. been running for 5 months. my water parameters are all good as per my first post. my main concern is he doesn't seem to want to eat except when i feed my corals.

reefer gladness

Your tank is pretty young to be keeping a nem, especially considering this is one of the more difficult nems to keep.

Carpet nems bury their foot in the sand and like a relatively deep sand bed (3-5 inches) sheltered by rocks. Also as mentioned previously, they require very strong lighting and frequent feeding. Not a good sign if it's tentacles are not sticky. What are you trying to feed it?