Carbon recommendation

DaveK

Just about any quality carbon will do. Avoid the cheep brands. Always rinse it out thoroughly, and don't mix it with other media.

You most likely find that you only need to use carbon for a few days every month. You can run it all the time though.

modulok

I just got the Fosters & Smith brand Premium Activated Carbon. 160oz for $18 on Black Friday. Normal price is $24.99. The bag is huge and for the price I don't think you can beat that.

Choff

+1 to brs Rox.

Almost no dust. Not ideal for reactors though

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Friday24

i run Dr. G's right now......however i just so happened to be reading an article in Coral magazine from last year about a study that was done that linked activated carbon to HLLE, with Lignite carbon causing lesions within 20 days of the study, and extruded pelleted carbon only having microscopic lesions.....I know its only one study, and it was a year ago, but is this something to be legitimately concerned with running carbon?

BLADEYAMAHA

I use BRS's lignite carbon that is large particle in reactors, it works great, enough for me at least, you can buy larger quantities for a greater price break. :D

Edison

I usually use Brightwell but the LFS ran out so I picked up a jar of Marineland. Both seem to work well.

steved13

PREMIUM
i run Dr. G's right now......however i just so happened to be reading an article in Coral magazine from last year about a study that was done that linked activated carbon to HLLE, with Lignite carbon causing lesions within 20 days of the study, and extruded pelleted carbon only having microscopic lesions.....I know its only one study, and it was a year ago, but is this something to be legitimately concerned with running carbon?

Yes IMO you should take precautions. I always exit the reactor into a fine filter sock.

degibson84

i have heard of people using filter floss at the top of the reactor above the sponge disc to catch carbon particles

Maprik

Rowa carbon is really excellent quality and really polishes the water in my 28 g nano. I run it for 1 week every month right under my overflow.