Carbon Dosed Bacteria vs. Anaerobic Bacteria

reefle

sorry dumb question

are the denitrifying bacteria that feed off of carbon dosing sources (vodka, vinegar, etc) the same as the anaerobic bacteria that live deep in rocks?

I just didnt see how vodka thats merely added to the water column would permeate deep into anaerobic zones for those bacteria to feed.

secondly,

I've read that carbon dosing leads to an increase of CO2 and a decrease in O2

However, anaerobic bacteria do not use O2 (much) so it seems these can't be the same bacteria that are using the O2 from the dosing?

DaveK

The simple answer is yes, they are the same general types of bacteria.

To live and grow these bacteria require some form of organic carbon. This can come from many sources. I have heard of vodka, vinegar, grain alcohol, lactose, sugar and a few others being used.

I don't see how CO2 would be an issue in a reef system. With all the circulation, most CO2 would quickly be removed from the system. It's just like when you shake up that can of soda or beer before you open it.

Creekview

Seachem Flourish Excel is made for freshwater planted tanks, but it works well in my reef tank as a carbon supplement. It also helps fix iron from ferric to ferrous, which is the bio available form. I've been doing 1/4 dose twice a week for a while now.

reefle

The simple answer is yes, they are the same general types of bacteria.

To live and grow these bacteria require some form of organic carbon. This can come from many sources. I have heard of vodka, vinegar, grain alcohol, lactose, sugar and a few others being used.

I don't see how CO2 would be an issue in a reef system. With all the circulation, most CO2 would quickly be removed from the system. It's just like when you shake up that can of soda or beer before you open it.

oooo so basically if I have a bunch of porous O2 less areas, a little flow, No3, Po, and a small population of bacteria, I can add Carbon to speed up the growth of my anaerobic bacteria? that's neat :)

The bacteria eat the vodka...vinegar...or whatever you are using to dose and they metabolize it using O2. The by product of metabolizing the carbon chain is CO2. The CO2 can affect ph but I would assume that it would be a small effect. The CO2 and H2O can make H2CO3. Carbonic acid....hence the small effect on ph. If any affect at all it would be a ph drop. Maybe someone who understands this a little better than I can explain it or correct me if im wrong.

DaveK

Seachem Flourish Excel is made for freshwater planted tanks, but it works well in my reef tank as a carbon supplement. It also helps fix iron from ferric to ferrous, which is the bio available form. I've been doing 1/4 dose twice a week for a while now.

Well, I got to add something else to my list of things people add for a carbon source. It makes sense though.