Can't seem to shake this HA problem... Experts enter

Lee

Try a google search for 'aquarium low magnesium algae' or similar and you'll find at least a few opinions out there indicating low mag as a potential contributor to nuisance algae. I'd directly link but I'm pretty sure cross-linking to other reef forums isn't allowed.

Yeah I'm going to make a push for the Magnesium thing. I was hoping that smaller, more frequent water changes would negate that issue, but Magnesium is the one possible issue that I don't already have an answer for. I should have a test for it next week.

Agree, the neutral whites are probably not an issue but at least it can be ruled out now. Certainly don't blame you for not want to re-do the lighting anyway.

I don't have a lot of experience with any powerheads other than the Vortech models. I did use a Koralia in my RSM tank briefly and by way of comparison the only thing I can say is the pumps move water in very different ways. The Koralia's, like most powerheads I expect, push a relatively narrow stream of water.

The Vortech pumps create a huge undertow. So much that if I only have one of the Vortechs running I actually see everything being pulled toward the pump rather than being blown away from it. Put two of these pumps in anti-sync mode on opposite sides of the tank and every corner of the tank is getting good flow that alternates back and forth. I know, they aren't cheap and I can't blame you for not wanting to drop the $$ on a hunch but I really do feel the random flow is worth it.

There are some other controllable pumps out there though for wave-making functions that are getting a strong following. Take a look at the Tunze 6095's with the 7096 controller, many folks like this setup better than two MP40's.

Wow, those Vortech pumps are crazy expensive. My Koralias were like $50/each. I've had people recommend Tunze's as well, but they are also crazy expensive. I figure with a tank my size and length, I'll need at minimum 3 or 4

landshark

Lee, I think that almost every suggestion has been made that I can think of normally. So let attack this problem with a different approach. Why not setup a 20 or 40 gallon for your fish and corals so while you battle the algae outbreak in the main DT you can feed your livestock without any issues. Next you can get more drastic with the algae battle. Lights out on the display for two to three weeks and have the lights on the fuge on 24/7. Remove all filter socks and go to town on stirring up the sand do a good cleaning of the tank and sump and equipments. Keep this going until you are sure you get most of the detritus out. During the time don’t do any additives just do wet skim and siphon the sand and rocks. Keep doing your water changes and check your parameters.

Lee

Lee, I think that almost every suggestion has been made that I can think of normally. So let attack this problem with a different approach. Why not setup a 20 or 40 gallon for your fish and corals so while you battle the algae outbreak in the main DT you can feed your livestock without any issues. Next you can get more drastic with the algae battle. Lights out on the display for two to three weeks and have the lights on the fuge on 24/7. Remove all filter socks and go to town on stirring up the sand do a good cleaning of the tank and sump and equipments. Keep this going until you are sure you get most of the detritus out. During the time don’t do any additives just do wet skim and siphon the sand and rocks. Keep doing your water changes and check your parameters.

Funny, I just came here to ask about doing almost exactly this. My current problem is that my tank is loaded with this brown stuff, looks like dead algea; blows loose easy, but I can't seem to filter it out faster than it regenerates, partially because I have so much rock, and partially because there is just no good way of removing it all manually (and it certainly isn't going away on its own)

I have a 90g with a T5-HO light fixture that is sitting empty, and I've got about 6 fish; 2 big tangs and a few smaller fish, and a Seabae anemone.

I have two ideas:

-remove all fish and move them to my empty 90g tank with T5-HO fixture (old bulbs). I could put probably 50 lbs of LR (cured LR that is currently in a curing tub, free of any algae or detritus)
-remove all rock from 120g DT (main tank), rinse all the brown stuff (detritus?) in the sink, and put the live rock in a curing tub for a few weeks, no lights, just moving salt water
-clean and vacuum all sand in the DT, and when the LR is re-cured, put it back in the DT and move back all the fish

-Remove "most" if not all of the infected LR from the DT, LEAVE the fish in the DT, and put some of the un-infected LR into the DT
-rinse and cure the infected LR just like above, vacuum sand, etc, and put back in DT once its cured

My only concern with #1 is that the transition might be harder on the fish, and my old T5 bulbs may not be enough for my Seabae anemone.

My concern with #2 is that it might be harder on the fish being in a tank that is being "renovated."

I like your idea, but my concern with that is that I'm not confident that I can get rid of all this stuff without removing the rock and rinsing it, but that requires the rock to cure again, and when it cures in the tank, it just creates more of this brown stuff. So with all this said, what do you think is the best approach? Thank you for all your help by the way. With #1 or #2, I'd essentially be starting the tank over, but I'm confident that with my new, more aggressive WC schedule, I can keep this problem from occurring again. But I need to get back to the point of a clean tank, because it seems that once this outbreak occurs, getting back to zero is extremely difficult. I'm not growing more algae, so I think that my current WC schedule and equipment setup is sufficient to prevent a future outbreak

Here is the "stuff" that I think is detritus? I'm not getting any green algae at the moment. It all seems to be this brown stuff, which shakes loose easy, but again, there is so much of it and so much rock, that removing it with the DT intact is proving nearly impossible.

UeJzGpo.jpg

Fishdad1

My current problem is that my tank is loaded with this brown stuff, looks like dead algea; blows loose easy, but I can't seem to filter it out faster than it regenerates, partially because I have so much rock, and partially because there is just no good way of removing it all manually (and it certainly isn't going away on its own)

That sounds like Dinoflagellates. I'm currently battling them as well. They are very different from cyano and GHA.

jerry26

i cant really tell by looking at the pic. looks dusty like its got detritus all over it.

if it were to be dino all i do is cut my lights back a little bit. dino has always decided how long my light cycle lasts. if i were to increase my light cycle by 30 minutes, i WILL have a dino outbreak. my cycle is like 9-10 hours which is fine but it still made me mad because my girlfriend was able to run 12-13 hours and not have any problems.

Lee

Here are some better pics. I think its dead hair algae or something. Looks just like HA, only its brown and it doesn't stick to the rock as badly; blows off easier

paIgaLv.jpg

CoK6bUC.jpg