cant get toadstool to attach

jck9

i have this toadstool leather that has barely any base. it does not want to attach to the rock. ive tried to sew it and ive tried to sit it in the sand but it wont atttach to that either. i think the current moves it before it grabs. any suggestions?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I've used the toothpick method with success.... pierce the bottom of the coral with a toothpick and then rubberband the ends of the toothpick to a rock. Wait 2-3 weeks for it to attach then remove the toothpick.

jck9

sorry i forgot to write that but i tried both of those too. the superglue worked till it expanded and the toothpick split it. there is not much base on it after the toothpick split it

Warnberg

How big is the leather? When I had mine and my tank has an issue my leather melted, a few weeks later I noticed these little spots where the leather was growing back, they where way too small to attempt to attach so I just placed them around the tank in different crevises in the live rock, after a few weeks they will attach themselves.

jck9

when fully extended the top is about 3 in shriveled it is about 2. it still shows pollups but wont grab. can i put it in a separate bowl of tank water and see if it will attach without current.

lcstorc

You could try the netting like people use for mushrooms. Just put the coral on the rock and gently wrap the coral and rock in netting secured with a rubberband. Then when it has attached remove the netting and put the rock where you want it.

jck9

i tried the toothpick again and i put it somewhere ther was very little flow. hopefully it will work this time. thanks

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Bummer!! I've used the toothpick method a lot.

Not sure about the netting. Hopefully, someone else will chime in.

lcstorc

I have heard of people using bridal veil netting or pretty much any kind of netting would do. Just something soft and pliable where the water and the light can get in.