Can't get DIY Skimmer to work

newsalt

I built a counter current air-driven skimmer several months ago. I haven't tried to use it until this week since I'm now wanting to cure some LR for my new 50g tank. I can't get it to work. I bought a maxi-jet 900 PW to pump the water. The air pump I tried, a Rena 900 (i think) didn't provide nearly enough air. So, I tried to use the skimmer as a venturi skimmer by using the venturi attachment that came with the PW. Again, little to no bubbles. I've attached a picture of the skimmer. The picture is attached just to show the skimmer design. The tank its shown with is was only used to check the skimmer for leaks. The reaction column is about 18" long and 3" in diameter. The PVC pipe is 3/4" diameter. What am I doing wrong? Can someone help? I'm close to giving up and buying a skimmer.

mps9506

Use airline tubing on the intake of the pump(suction side) and toss the ventruri attacment that comes with the pump. Or use it to recirculate bubbles back into the suction of the pump.
If you use it as a venturi skimmer I think you should use a larger pump to drive it as you lose lots of flow with the air introduced in the water.
Mike

Cosmic

Personally I think it's the water pump you are using. I had an Amiracle counter-current skimmer that I had the same problems with initially. Once getting the "correct" (they recommend 3 pumps, but only use 1 of those) pump, the skimmer worked great.
This would only apply to the test runs you are not using an air pump to create bubbles.

One other concern I have is that your feed pipe is much much larger than those on similar sized skimmers w/ similar sized pumps. Try running 1/4" intake line instead of 1/2 or even 3/4". This will help increase the pressure inside your skimmer, giving better performance I'd think.

-HTH-
Cos