can't decide

dougie

OK! let me start by saying this is by far the best site I have been in. You guys really hook it up with good info. "much tanks"

Well I started with my 40gal reef with fish aquarium about 8 months ago and its has been going pretty good. I currently have a skilter 400 doing my filtretion and a maxijet 900 doing the water movement. I also have about 30lbs of live rock and 20lbs of live sand, my lighting is by a PC jalli a18 7100k d/l bulb and a 55w actinic blue bulb.

But of course the addiction is making me think about up grading to a 75 or a 100 gal tank. Now my question is, should I invest better in a acrylic tank that has the wet/dry filter and skimmer already built into it. Or should I just set up my own sump. (I really don't have any room to do fancy plumbing, so it would have to be a real simple one)

Can you guys give me some pro's and con's about both types?

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I thibk the built in ones are not as good, you would want to remove the wetdry that they have, and you don't get the added water volume with the sump under the tank.

Playa

I think size or shape of the tank has a lot to do with what kind of marine life will inhabit it.

As a general rule I believe is best that a reef have fairly good width, so that proper water flow becomes more feasible. I personally dont like wetdry filter systems. You could go to your LFS and have them custom build you a sump. You might want to have a small refugium built in also.

If your budget allows you to buy a skimmer, then you could do without the refugium(for lack of space) and just place your skimmer in the sump.

Amiracle makes some nice sumps with refugiums.
http://www.amiracle.com

If you are considering a 75 or a 100, upgrade just a little more and get a 120(great size tank and optimum shape, when considering an SPS reef)

Main advantage of a custom built sump is the option of building any size to suit needs due to room availability.

Doug there are many reefers that still run a Wetdry filtration systems, but numbers decrease every day.

JMHO

sorcerer

Court Computer Wiz
I agree with Fidojoe, the tanks I have looked at with built in sumps and wet/dry filters all seem pretty limiting. IMO you are much better off with a seperate sump. Another factor for me would be that I don't really like acrylic tanks as they tend to scratch to easy.

I would suggest that you look at a 75 or 100 reef ready with built in overflows. That will make some of the plumbing tasks easier. JMO.

BoomerD

Dougie, since you're in the l.a. area, you have good access to Jeff's exotic pets. They make custom sumps, sell aquariums of all sizes, and one of the better protein skimmers, the SouthBay. It's a EuroReef knock-off, at a considerably better price.
115 W Victoria St., Gardena, CA 90248
1-888-442-3474 - 310-817-1176
Jeff's Exotic Fish
Great guy, nice store from all I've heard & from the pics I've seen, decent prices. Stop by & take a look, and be sure to ask lots of questions!
Remember, the only bad question, is the one you didn't ask

dougie

(still learning)good stuff, thanks!
so I'm going to hold off a little longer
and go for a 120gal with a sump and skimmer inside
:)

Playa

Doug a 120 is an awesome size for a reef.

Make sure to take your time planning your new reef.

Best of luck and please feel free to ask more questions. And yes I am also an advocate of glass versus scratch, I mean Acrylic.:)