Cannot grow chaeto in my sump

Susan987

I need some direction or suggestions. I have a 90 gallon reef tank with a 30 gallon sump. In my sump I have mechanical filtration and a protein skimmer in the first chamber, a refugium in the second, and then the return pump. Over my refugium is a flourescent 3300K light. Per Mr. Saltwater Aquarium, chaeto can grow in any light, so I bought one at Home Depot. My tank parameters are good. pH 8.2, Nitrates range from 0-10. KH 10-11. Salinity 1.022-1.023. I run my light over my refugium throughout the night and my chaeto slowly dies.

I watch videos on youtube about how fast chaeto grows. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

ziggy

I need some direction or suggestions. I have a 90 gallon reef tank with a 30 gallon sump. In my sump I have mechanical filtration and a protein skimmer in the first chamber, a refugium in the second, and then the return pump. Over my refugium is a flourescent 3300K light. Per Mr. Saltwater Aquarium, chaeto can grow in any light, so I bought one at Home Depot. My tank parameters are good. pH 8.2, Nitrates range from 0-10. KH 10-11. Salinity 1.022-1.023. I run my light over my refugium throughout the night and my chaeto slowly dies.

I watch videos on youtube about how fast chaeto grows. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?
I might question the light intensity. An old style fluorescent, especially more the 2 inches from the item to grow, would be my first guess. I'd replace it with a 4K of 6.5K T5 light for much more intensity.

Good luck

Snelly40

yah i feel like i read that 6500k for cheato is the best... now this was years ago when i still used it so dont kill me if thats a ltitle off. but most standard flood lights from home depot will be around that and man mine used to grow like crazy

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
My chaeto started growing faster when I got enough water movement in my refugium. I started my Fuge off with too low of water flow...started seeing red Cyano form and the surface of the water looked way too still.
I put in a small power head & that worked. I have a freshwater LED fixture above it. I have to remove lots of Chaeto....here's my fuge FULL after letting it go too long without pruning:
image.jpg

Susan987

I thought about getting a powerhead, but my refugium in my sump is small. How many gph powerhead did you place?

Susan987

Oh, and I went to Home Depot to get a 6500k light, because wouldn't Home Depot have a huge selection of light? But, I ended up where Ziggy recommended, Walmart (and I hate walmart). I got two lights!

hummer41269

Here's my sump I also have the same problem ..my lfs told me my water is so clean there's not enough food for it to grow.main tank coral doing awsome
dfa30aac93bdf3e1930ed11bcd1bcd05.jpg
I have a led marine land light on it
9d56884ac142d7dc8d4ea2f0d1dfbb9c.jpg
I was told get some fish ...lol. 2little clowns is not enough waste.. in water volume of 300 gal

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I think my phoshpates probably help mine to grow....
No nitrates but This is my test results for phosphate
image.jpg
@hummer41269 Very nice looking set up :thumbup:
I would get into stocking that beautiful tank :D

Susan987

I'm with DianaKay, you have a huge tank and space for some fish Hummer41269. I wish I had that kind of space for my sump. Oh, and thankyou DianaKay for the link to BulkReefSupply. I think more movement would help. How many gallons is your sump and your refugium? How is it set-up?

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I have the LifeReef Sump/refugium set up under my RSM 250 tank.
image.jpg
image.jpg
The refugium water volume is about 15 gallons but I have a DSB so it's less.
^^^It's NOT that clean looking now :confused: