Cannon D-Rebel!!! What do you think?

Michael_Lambert

Alright guys..

Once again im looking to upgrade my camera.. I have allways really really liked the Digital Rebel. And have never used SLR camera before allways just a good old Point and Shoot.. Currently using the Dimage Z1.. has had the most features i have had so far in a camera..

So im looking for a good entry level Digital SLR camera.. and what to know what you all think about this...

I can get this package for $899 Canadian..

CANON D-REBEL SILVER W/18-55 EF-S

Its about the going price for them.. Just wondering how that lens is.. Or am i going to need to buy another lens for shooting the aquarium?

I was concidering the Nikon D70.. But its $250Can.. More.. and does not come with lens.. and really cant afford to spend another grand on a decent lens for it.. So im really thinking the D-Rebel is the one i should go with?

What do you all think..

Thanks
Michael

jcoopergd

This is coming from my own personal feelings - but i have not used or reda up on the nikons-

IMO - Canon has some of the best optics (lenses) out there. The digital Rebel SLR though is the bottom line digital SLR camera - Although its not the best Canon, its definately not the worst camera you could get.

One thing you may look at - the included lens is almost always crap. You ought to see if you can get it without the lens, and try looking in camera stores for used canon lenses. I use a Canon 55mm/1.2f lens - very nice and if you use the money you saved by buying without the lens, you may be able to get a good lens that way.

but do check to make sure the lens will work - I've heard conflicting stories about what canon lenses will work with the DigRebel...

my two cents - you can PM me with more specific questions -

also, if you've never shot SLR before, you may want to take a class - learn what f-stops, shutter speeds etc. are, and what they will do to your picture....If there's one thing i hate, its someone getting a good SLR camera, and using it like a point and shoot camera....LAME! find out what you camera can do, and you will then have two hobbies to sink money into..

j

reefrunner

Contributing Member
Or am i going to need to buy another lens for shooting the aquarium?

You'll probably want one, I've not tried to use the 18-55mm lens for any close up work, I really only use it for the wide end on landscapes, but it takes a bad rap on the photography forums, IMO. It's slower than some other lenses, but it get's the job done and has produced some nice images for me. Shooting an aquarium you'll probably want a dedicated macro lens.

I was concidering the Nikon D70.. But its $250Can.. More.. and does not come with lens..

Honestly you can't go wrong with either camera, the d70 is not better, but has more features and, price wise is in the same range a the d rebel, it is not in terms of features. Making the decision on which camera to buy should be made knowing which one will offer the lens system you want to invest in and then which one has the features your interested in. IMO, the d70 is worth the extra money, but may be more camera than you need.

To answer your real question...it's a great camera, you've already seen some awesome photos that come from that camera posted here as there are a couple or more members here that use/used them, I see stunning photos all over the net from the d rebel, but a dslr is not just an investment in a camera, it's an investment in all the other stuff that goes into it, depending on your needs, often the camera body is one of the cheaper components of your system.

Michael_Lambert

Learned all that :)

Thats why i bought the Dimage Z1.. The only Point and shoot camera that acts like a SLR.. Meaning i can adjust the F-stop and shutter speeds..

Im more than capible of using the SLR.. And i do have a couple of friends who are big in the Photo Hobby.. not to mention if i buy at Henrys like i plan on they give free classes on how to use the camera. :)

reefrunner

Contributing Member
I've heard conflicting stories about what canon lenses will work with the DigRebel...

Just like the 20d and the 350d the 300d will accept any Canon mount EF or EF-S lenses.

sanblas

I bought a used 300d a few weeks ago and like it very much, I couldnt have afforded the d70, d20, or the new 350xt, so Im happy with my choice. If I had more money I would have gone with the d70 for a nikon based system or the d20 for canon...I held the rebel xt over the weekend and its too small for me, but thats a personal thing.

the kit lens for the rebel is not a bad lens at all and is ok for close up work but by no means great and will be a let down from your z1...I have a nikon 4500(fantastic macro) and was very disappointed with the kit lens for macro...so based on some recs from this board I bought the phoenix/vivtar 100mm macro for about $150 at a local store, much cheaper than the canon 100mm macro. Ive been pleased with it so far and have been getting good pics but have to use a tripod. One huge plus is being able to shoot in RAW which makes white balance a breeze in post production.

let me know if you have any questions, happy to help...if you want to see some pics with the phoenix macro, look in this link
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6561

If you are not going to buy extra lenes then the SLR cameras are not for you.
If wanting to choose between the rebel D and the XT The price difference on the kits are about 200 bucks difference.
The new XT is lighter and faster and smaller the the rebel D.

Last edited:

Michael_Lambert

Oh i will be buying lens for it, Just don't have the cash to buy it all at once :) So im looking to see if the lens it comes with is okay, I mean i would hate to go out and buy a SLR body.. and have it sitting around my house for months while i save up to buy a lens for it.. That would just drive me totally Crazy!

Lens i want to get over time are

Good Macro
Good Telephoto lense ( Shooting Wildlife)
Good Wide Angle
Good lens for shooting Sporting events ( Families Soccer games and stuff ) not sure what lens i would need for that.

drdrew

Toooloud said:
Lens i want to get over time are

Good Macro
Good Telephoto lense ( Shooting Wildlife)
Good Wide Angle
Good lens for shooting Sporting events ( Families Soccer games and stuff ) not sure what lens i would need for that.

...see you in about 3500 USdollars...

Michael_Lambert

oh of course.. But that would be 5 grand Canadian Over 5 years :)

the lens that comes with it would be find for my uses right now.. as its still much better than the 3.2 meg Point and shoot camera i have now..

In a couple of months get a good macro lens.. and then work my way from there :)

ReefLady

Staff member
Sounds like you've already gotten very good advice. Only thing I would add, is maybe look into a used 10D for about the same amount. The features are worth it.

T

Michael_Lambert

Yea i was playing with the 10d in the store, as well as the rebel XT.. and just cant get over the feel of them.... Really don't like the weight on the 10D..

i really really love the feel the the rebel..

ReefLady

Staff member
When you stick a good lens like the 100mm macro on the 10D or rebel the weight of the body itself won't make much difference IMO.