Canister filteration

AJK

Hi, I have a fluval external canister filter, I used on my 120 freshwater tank. Now, I would like to use on my 55 gal tank. What type of filteration media, should I put into the trays ? I already have a carbon sock. Thanx for suggestions :)

tomr33

Is the 55g tank saltwater? If so ditch the canister all together...they are nothing but a nitrate factory...

May not be too bad for carbon or GFO. Would need to be cleaned out like any other reactor though. I would not like not being able to see whats collecting in my media though, personal preference of course :wave:

Tokalosh

I agree, I ran my first SW tank on a couple canisters but had to keep a close eye on them. I would just use it to run GFO.

Tok

DaveK

If your going to use a canister filter, you will need to clean it often, usually every week or so. I would use it with a filter pad for mechanical filtration. The only other media types I'd put in it would be carbon or GFO and similar media. If you have any bio-media, you can remove it. The biological filtration in a reef system is from all that live rock you put in the tank.

Assuming that your not planning on a sump, I highly recommend that you invest in a good hang on the tank skimmer. Something like an AquaC Remora should work just fine. Avoid the bargain skimmers. There area a lot of junk ones out there.

AJK

Thank you for replies friends, have a CoralLife protein skimmer, sump in progress. At the moment, using empty canister for more flow. Reason for canister filter, I purchased a hob filter for my 20 gal w carbon pad, tank stay's crystal clear. Will try carbon/gfo in canister, c how it goes :)