Can You Have Too Much Calcium In A Tank?

Luke7e

I tested the calcium in my 75G 3 times last week and each time it took about 30 drops to get to the test color. That was about 2X the amount it should have taken. Will this be detrimental to my tank or corals in any way?

Cougra

Yes it's possible to have too much calcium. If you have too much calcium then your Alk is going to be way off as these two need to be balanced.

What are ALL your water parameter readings?

Warnberg

Luke7e, better check that Alk I bet with calcium that high it's you alk level will be very low. Check all parms and let us know.

goldenmean

What brand of test are you using?
The brand I use 30 drops give me a Calcium level of 450 mg/l which is right on target

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
If it's very high it could cause a "snowstorm" cause a sudden precipitation of carbonates where the alk crashes.

Anthony Calfo:

It is instigated by the influx of a large or rapid amount of calcium entering the system that spikes the pH immediately surrounding carbonate molecules and causes a crystalline precipitation (fallout)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/calcalkmar.htm

Luke7e

PH seems pretty good....8.1
I am using Aquarium Pharm Calcium test drops...
No Fallout..

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I would double check that test kit. if you can bring a water sample to the LFS to see if in fact it's that high. Have you measured the alkalinity ?

goldenmean

So what level of Calcium does the Aquarium Pharm Calcium test instuctions say 30 drops is?

I use SeaTest and you multiply the number of drops by 15 to get the calcium level in mg/l. 30 drops x 15 = 450mg/l

Getting your water tested by LFS to confirm your test is a good idea

R.yumaDaddy?

I try to only but test kits w/ cotrols so I can double check if i'm suspicios of the results. I'm not sure if this will work but try doing your test w/ distilled or deionized water and see I you come up w/ a 0 reading.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I use that same test kit (AP drop) for calcium with great results (I test it side by side with salifert)

WOW... 26 drops is 520 ppm ca!! What salt are you using? What is the printed date on the regeants? (See this thread for AP Expiration Date Info)

I would suspect your alk is VERY low. Be careful when you begin to buffer and do not overdose the alk or you will have a snow storm (calcium precipitation event).

I suspect you are in "Zone #4" and should follow the instructions found at Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems.

figure5.gif

Luke7e

Something is definitely messed up...I just tested my emergency/water change trash can which is just water and Reef Crystal (Red Sea) and it tokk 30 drop from that well (the test kit only goes to 13 drops) I will have to find a fish place that tests in this area to get real results....

Witfull

sounds like the test is whacked,,,take it with you to the LFS and test it side by side with theirs....and if need be,,,drop it in their garbage can~