Can you feed canned tuna to a trigger?

xfourstarzx

I have a tiny blue-lined trigger, and i didnt know the first day i bought it that it was a meat eater. i figured it out on the second day when he wouldnt touch the pellets. so i threw in some tuna from a can. its the cheap walmart kind that is soaked in water. im a noob, and dont want to spend alot of money. ontop of that, i dont think i should keep him because of my tank. i have a shrimp, some hermits, and 2 damsels in a 10gal. what do you guys say? heres a pictures to help you see my tank. as you can see i am currently keeping him in that net. until i figure out what to do, i can probly return him to the pet store for something else @ 25$, if it is the wise thing to do.

need help, thanks!

l_d23731f560a1f0ac3752e2f357074adb.jpg

Witfull

canned tuna is cooked, so its not good for him.

secondly, he will eat your shrimp and crabs. i cant see the pic, but if its a fuscus trigger,,,,they get big and mean.

xfourstarzx

canned tuna is cooked, so its not good for him.

secondly, he will eat your shrimp and crabs. i cant see the pic, but if its a fuscus trigger,,,,they get big and mean.

wow what a quick response! thanks, i dont really want any mean fish. nor fish that eat meat. any suggestions on what to trade this in for? yellow tang maybe?

pmac90

Hey fourstarz, welcome!!
First, if i were you, i'd get that fish back to the store so he doesn't get stressed in the net.
second, while you're there look for a marine fish book (or look online) and look for gobies, firefish, blennies, and some other damsels(mean fish also). But be aware, it is very hard to keep things stable in a 10 gallon (think i read that in your first post), so keep stocking low. also, check your pellet food... some are for carnivores. ;) damsels eat meat too. hehe
now, on to the setup and lets see more pics!!

xfourstarzx

can you tell us about your tank,,,size, age filtration etc

10g, 6months, biowheel 150, 20 watt light strip, skimmer.

but the bad news is they just told me they wont take the trigger back, so im stuck with this delemma. damn, me and my impulse purchasing!

skimmer
l_bad71e4c8af5b209a3dc3e2bcf3878de.jpg

filter
l_85fda7dbf56f32481ab24c36db559951.jpg

heater/salt measure
l_8c82ef4254ab46e7f599ddcbd50b2ddc.jpg

and theres that little devil at the bottom mocking me. he will likly become the reason i quit this hobby.

Last edited:

DaBird

I don't think that I'd do buisness with a store that had that attitude...Hope you have another LFS close enough to do buisness with...Just My .02...D

xfourstarzx

ok so can someone map out a plan for me on what i should do over the next couple of months as the trigger grows? when should i expect for him to become destructive and too big, etc.

Warnberg

Well, here is what I would do if I where in your shoes. First contact any local reef clubs in the area and see if someone will buy it from you, from what I can tell these triggers are fairly expensive (from 40.00 to 70.00) and not very common. So you may get lucky and someone may purchase it from you at a reduced price, if not you may have to give it away.
If you elect to keep it, be prepared to loose the shrimp first then possibly the anemone and any snails or crabs in the tank, lastly it may go after the damsels. They are also known to rearrange the tank a bit...

xfourstarzx

Well, here is what I would do if I where in your shoes. First contact any local reef clubs in the area and see if someone will buy it from you, from what I can tell these triggers are fairly expensive (from 40.00 to 70.00) and not very common. So you may get lucky and someone may purchase it from you at a reduced price, if not you may have to give it away.
If you elect to keep it, be prepared to loose the shrimp first then possibly the anemone and any snails or crabs in the tank, lastly it may go after the damsels. They are also known to rearrange the tank a bit...

id rather kill the shrimp and crabs with my own bare hands then let the trigger feast on them! gahh this is so frusterating. how do i find a local reef club, internet yellow pages?

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM

Then after it has eaten everything, it goes for your hand!

Warnberg

I suggest you look at reef central (only time I will mention it) they have a section with all kinds of reef clubs in different areas, you may be able to find one local to you... Good luck