can this be done (make your own T5 light fixture)

Like the title said for this topic. What items would be needed to do a job like this. No I'm not talking about buying a T5 retro kit.

from what I can think of for the following things.

IDR's
T5 Endcaps
power cord x2 ( for dusk and dawn effect)
of course build a canopy for DT.
A few LED's for moonlight
fans

I keep thinking that there might be other things I might be missing so can everyone fill me in. Also I would need links to where I can get the supplies for the light.

So don't be shy let's here what you got to say.

we;; while i was searching for the parts to make your own t5. the parts can come very close to either a T5 fixture or T5 retro. So I really don't see where money can be saved. For the 75 or 90 reef I want to run 8 T5's so to do this it would require 2 ballast.

Because what ballast I seen can handle up to 4 T5's. I seen ballast around $100 but Ice Cap also have a ballast for T5's and I think it was around $175 so for the setup I want to run I would need 2 of them.

But yet I had seen 8x 54 unit run as high as 600 or 700 for the higher end units. So it might be be cheaper to do a DIY T5, not just sure yet. what do you guys/gals think.

ok here's a link to the Ice Cap Ballast

nightfire76

ive thought of this too but the thing is everything to make your own is on the cheaper side but the ballasts arent so from what i found so far its still cheaper to get a retro fit,trust me im looking,cause id like to not spend close to $400 for these lights i want,i only want a 4 bulb/ice cap 660 48" and the cheapist i found was $297,i can go alot cheaper then that with another retro fit but then it wont give me enough light at only 216watts,im hoping that the 660 ice cap can give me around 320watts if it doesnt then i would have wasted alot of money then lol

im making my own retrofit.

ive bought 2 different light fixtures from home depot, WITH a good size ballast in them.

I have also bought 8 different t5 female ends, and a couple bigger ballasts.

my plan is to wire the ballasts remotley, to keep them cool, mount everything into a canopy, then hang it above the tank,

DaveK

Most ballasts are limited to four bulbs, especially with higher wattage bulbs, so an eight bulb setup simply works out to using two retro's of four bulbs each. There is no real problem with this.

burntrice I do like the idea of remotely mounting of the ballast's, but my apartment is small so space is a premium.

I think as far as this DIY goes, I'll have to put it off for now and get a fixture. Then when this tank gets built and up and running and slowly stocked, I'll work on making a canopy and putting retro fit T5 in the canopy, so this can be anywhere from a 1 - 2 years. Because like to get this thing going by the end of 2010, and if I do this project, then this reef tank won't be running between 2011 - 2013. This is one build I will do.

DaveK

It is possible to remotely mount some ballasts, but you need to check the specs of the ballast first. Some ballasts do not permit this.

Also, if you do remotely mount ballasts, they can throw out a lot of radio or television interference. If this does occur, and it effects you neighbour, you are responsible for fixing the problem.

In any case, keep the remote ballasts mounted as close to the fixture as you can.