can the fish get stress from seeing its reflection?

Sirirot

I am planing to do a bare QT tank for saltwater fish. I want to make sure the new fish get the most comfortable in it.

Can the fish get stress from seeing its reflection? If yes, what is the best solution to avoid? Can I just put a black matte sticker on each side of the tank? Will it still work if I stick it outside? Is it also depend on what kind of fish?

I've read some threads said that fish normally don't see the reflection of itself while inside the tank but only we can see reflections because of it is a phenomenon from two planes of glass. Is this true? If yes, how come I see some people still have problem of their fish fighting its reflection?

Some threads said that fish can still see itself in some lighting condition of the tank and the room like when we can see ourselves on the glass windows when at nigh. Is it true?

DaveK

This can happen, but it's usually not a big problem. More important is to make sure a new fish has places to hide. Many people use PVC pipe and fittings to make some structure in a quarantine tank.

Last edited: