Can spa flex be used?

Rhodes19

Hi All,

Can spa flex be used safely with reef tanks and if so, how are they connected to sch 40 pvc? I was thinking of using some between the sump and pump and pump and return lines for vibration control and maybe use it for all of the return lines to minimize flow restrictions. Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks. :)

tektite

Yes, it can be used. Nice stuff for odd corners. I used epoxy to attach it to sch. 40 - I forgot the specific type but I got it from Ace Hardware, it was for plastics.

BigJay

yes as said regular PVC cement. Spa flex = flexible pvc pipe .
It can also be used to make a joint between glue and barb. But you may have to use a heat gun to heat the spa flex to fit over a barb and to give it enough give to put a clamp on it.

Reefin

Yep I'm using spa flex on the intake side of my external pump was told it can help keep some of the pump noise down to!

Rhodes19

Thanks every one. I appreciate your help. I think I will use it between the pump and sump and up to the return bulkheads. That should make plumbing a little easier. :D

DaveK

I hate to disagree with most of the RS members, but in my opinion spa flex is best glued with cement that is made specifically for it. Yes, normal pvc pipe glue will work, but it's not your best choice.

Here is a link to Savko, which sells various cements. Note the one for flexible PVC - Savko Plastic Pipe & Fittings

I would also only use spa flex where you need it. The internal spiral creates a lot of friction, and loss of flow.

Rhodes19

I hate to disagree with most of the RS members, but in my opinion spa flex is best glued with cement that is made specifically for it. Yes, normal pvc pipe glue will work, but it's not your best choice.

Here is a link to Savko, which sells various cements. Note the one for flexible PVC - Savko Plastic Pipe & Fittings

I would also only use spa flex where you need it. The internal spiral creates a lot of friction, and loss of flow.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the link. I didn't think about the internal spiral creating friction. Should have thought of it though, I have the same problem with my upstairs AC/heating ducts. I need to replace them to get better flow according to my heating and air guy.

cbrownfish

I would definitely recommend using a heavy duty product as suggested by Dave. You can purchse heavy duty PVC cement from Lowe's. It is blue in color and called "Rain or Shine". You can literally use this product when the pipe is wet or if it will get wet while you glue it.