Can someone explain redox to me?

FishyinKY

Make it technical or not technical. I just want to know. Tell me about ozone. Tell me about how ph affects it.
Thanks

Mac

In simple terms:

Chemical reactions involve ions or neutral molecules reacting with one another.

HCl + NaOH ==> H2O + NaCl

Redox involves the exchange of electrons:

Fe ==> Fe(2+) + 2 e(-)
O + 2 e- ==> O(2-)
--------------------------------
Fe + O ==> Fe(2+)O(2-)

Make sense? Probably not.

Essentially, redox is the reduction of one "substance" with the oxidation of another. In the example above iron loses electrons (oxidation) and oxygen gains them (reduction). The balanced equation is below them.

LEO the lion goes GER
Loss Electrons Oxidation. Gain Electrons Reduction.

Last edited:

FishyinKY

Okay so oxidization. That's like rust as well is it not? I guess my point is do you want to increase oxygenation in all its forms or is it better to just try to achieve a balance between gain and reduction? I keep reading where the redox balance will have a large effect on excess nutrients in a tank which has a large effect on excessive growth of not wanted elements. Do any of you check for redox? Or oxygenation?
Thanks
Mac

Redox is complicated to just "explain" if you know what I mean. Yes, redox is responsible for corrosion of metal but it also takes place in sand beds, waste water, etc. For example, anaerobic conditions results in reduction (no oxygen present). Aerobic conditions result in oxidation. When H's get attached to molecules, this is reduction. However, elements like sulphur are also capable of oxidation (S is just below O in the periodic table).

In the case of organic molecules, oxidation tends to be prefered. Reduction of carbon leads to CH4 (methane) [bad!] whereas oxidation leads to CO2 (carbon dioxide = harmless) [good!]

Back to sand beds: (assuming everything said about deep sand beds is true) reduction converts the dead animals to NH3. Oxidation will start to knock off the H and replace them with O. This is good because, as we all know nitrate (NO3) is safer than nitrite (NO2) which is safer than NH3 (ammonia)! Whew!

Hydrogen sulphide smells bad! It's a reduced form of SO3 (which isn't really good, either).

I don't even know if I'm answering your question. I guess, in short, reduction is good for some things while oxidation is good for others.

Oxidation removes excess nutrients. Generally you get rid of things by oxidation.

FishyinKY

Actually Jupiter you are doing a great job. I was thinking of how currents would fit into this. Keeping the oxygenation going. The exchanges of gases. I know its a complicated subject but seems like maybe there should be a way to really understand it. And I do think it has a huge importance with deep sand beds and their purpose.

Curtswearing

Here's a good article discussing the things that we can do to increase Orp naturally.
Orp and Redox

BEST way to maintain solid ORP values.

ORP correlates with dissolved oxygen, and inversely correlates with your pH.

Things that lower ORP: Dysfunctional Skimmer, increased biological reactions, poor gas exchange.

Things that raise ORP: Good skimming, a few chemicals, good gas exchange, photosynthesis.

One general trend to look at is that ORP rises when the water becomes rich in oxygen. We can enrich our tanks with oxygen through vigorous protein skimming and photosynthesis. Those are relatively "natural ways" to increase your ORP value.

FishyinKY

Curt, do you suppose that just by adding additional current and additional powerheads in the tank you would effect your redox? You would be changing the oxygen exchange ratio.