Can Seahorses stand copper in a tank?

Thoric

title says it all and I can't seem to find anything that answers the question. So I figured I would just ask and see if someone would know.:yup:

lcstorc

Are you talking about adding copper to the tank or are you just worried about leaching from the seals? I don't think I would treat a tank with seahorses but I don't think a small amount leaching would be a problem. Hopefully this can give you a bump so someone who really knows can jump in.

AQTCJAK

RS Sponsor
They can not copper will do to seahorses the same as it does to starfish melt them very slowly & painful deaths

lcstorc

Very good to know. I guess that means I can't treat the QT with copper or I need a separate QT just for the seahorses.

panmanmatt

Exactly, Jack. Seahorses are a scaleless fish and should never be treated with copper. There really is no reason for them to be treated with copper.

Thoric, what is going o that you think you would need to treat with copper?

Thoric

Nothing really just curious since I never read it anywhere. Would a tank that had copper treatment in it be fine? I have a old tank that I coppered and I was kinda wondering about the seals leaking copper back in and hurting the seahorses. I would have brand new filters, substrate, and live rock.. just don't want my little friends to die over a stupid mistake.

panmanmatt

Yes the coral will leach out of the silicone and cause problems. You'd be better getting a new tank and starting over.

Do you have seahorses yet or just planning on getting them?

Thoric

I have 2 pairs already in a mixed tank and was looking to move them to a smaller tank (the empty 55gal) and just make it a seahorse paradise where they could breed.

Thoric

They are in a 150gal mixed reef tank crazy I know but that is why im looking to give them a home all to their own. They were shipped in a Seahorse, Kellogii there are definately 2 males and 2 females the males are bright orange and 1 female is all yellow and 1 female is yellow and black stripped. As for pictures my camera sucks and I suck at taking pictures but I will do my best to get pictures up here shortly. :bouncer: Oh they are eating frozen mysis shrimp as of right now. I've only had them for about 2 weeks now and watched them for over a week at the store.