Can I use pickling lime to nuke corals?

Ratpack

I have some mushrooms that are getting out of hand and starting to encroach on some other corals that I care more for. Can I use Mrs Wages pickling lime to nuke them and if so, what is the proper mix. I only plan to do one or two at a time so I don't impact the chemistry of the tank. I should have never put these blasted things in the tank, but they are pretty.

DaveK

Before you nuke them, post what kind they are. You might find a lot of people would like to have some. You also might be able to trade them in at your LFS.

Yes, the method of using pickling lime should work.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
So many talk of growing mushrooms...it boggles my mind that Mushrooms won't grow in my tank. :confused:
I think DaveK has a good idea to remove them & take them to a LFS.
They may or may not give you store credit for them but aquaculture of corals is very good for our hobby.
Good Luck :fingerscrossed: keeping them from over taking other corals in your tank however you get it done. :thumber2:

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
So many talk of growing mushrooms...it boggles my mind that Mushrooms won't grow in my tank. :confused:
I think DaveK has a good idea to remove them & take them to a LFS.
They may or may not give you store credit for them but aquaculture of corals is very good for our hobby.
Good Luck :fingerscrossed: keeping them from over taking other corals in your tank however you get it done. :thumber2:
Plus 1 on aquaculturing!

Ratpack

I don't mind giving them away and I do as they grow and drop off the rock. However, even when I cut them off, the remaining piece grows into another shroom. I hate to kill them, but at this point I don't see any other option.

bazmackem

I have a similar situation with Kenya tree... There are 5 or 6 big ones on my two main rocks, I like them but they take up the top 3rd of my tank! What is the best way to remove (and keep alive if possible) and replace with something different? LFS said he would buy a small branch on a rock from me but if I could keep a bigger one alive he may rather have that?