can i run a stock BCas a FO

nunlef

Hi,
My daughter has expressed interest in having her own saltwater tank (in her room) and I am looking in to the BioCubes. I am wondering if anyone has success running the stock equipment long term. Most of what i see here is people making mods before they even put water in it.

She is 6 years old, and would like store bought decorations (i.e. a half a sunken ship from petco and a sebastian on a rock, smiling :smack:).

I have only ever focused on large tanks that rely on passive biological filtration (I have been so extreme as to have 2 small fish in a 120g without a skimmer, just macros and live rock). So i don't know the first thing about the AIO style systems that primarily utilize mechanical filtration.

Thanks for any advice.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Absolutelty. I know a few people who run stock tanks and do just fine. As long as you keep up with water changes and don't over stock the tank you should be more than fine.

As you add things like corals possibly, make sure the stock tank will work for them......if you don't want to change the stock tank than everything you buy needs to fit it. Me on the other hand.....I like to convince my better half that we need a new coral/invert that eventually leads to an equipment upgrade request......works everytime :)

nunlef

the old "sure we can get a birds nest, but we'll need the tunze powerhead that is compatible with our controller" ploy.... fortunately my husband leaves the fish tank research to me ;) That's also how I got our second 125, i told him our school of 3 tangs were getting to the size that they needed more room (they were only about 1.5 inches each, but never to early to upgrade)

Anyway,
The BioCube will never see a coral. It will likely have some kind of "off the shelf" decoration, a clown and a blue damsel, and some kind of small star fish. and that's it. ever.

water changes on a 24/29 shouldn't be a problem, i could do 5 gallons in my sleep at this point.

Thanks so much for the advice, i wanted something self contained for the bedroom, and didn't want to get into a $1000 project for a child that might want a hamster instead next month ;)