can i replace my live sand

i would like to get the substrate out of my tank and replace with live sand.
would anybody not recommend or recommend doing this? any insught would be appreciated.
thanks,
John

Rhodes19

Are you replacing it because you want a live substrate or because you want sand instead of aragonite? Is the tank set up? If so, how long has it been set up?

well the aragonite is basically live sand now. my tank has been up for 2+years. i had some algae problems so i removed a lot while trying to get the alagae under control. algae is gone now but my substrate is getting low. and i would like the look of a different sand and a deeper sand bed.

Rhodes19

I've read somewhere on RC about changing out substrate. From what I reacall, when you remove the old stuff, do a big water change to help reduce the nitrates that have been dug up. I'm sure some one who has done it will chime in and share thier experience. :)

i was kinda in the same spot. so i just put sand on top of the old sand. way easier then taking the old sand out. Kept a close eye on all my levels and did a lot of water changing. The system is running great for the last 7 months.

that sounds like the best idea, i will prolly level out my sand bed by taking some old out then lay a nice top layer in sections. thanks

i was kinda in the same spot. so i just put sand on top of the old sand. way easier then taking the old sand out. Kept a close eye on all my levels and did a lot of water changing. The system is running great for the last 7 months.

i've heard similiar things, one question did you add live sand or dry sand?
i've heard reasons for using both.lmk

thanks,
John