Can I repair a: COMPACT LIGHT 72" JEBO-ODESSEA 384 WATT

Roks-Sharky

What a regrettable purchase, though the vendor can't be blamed:

I was looking for cheap lights for my 150 gallon tank and got it on Ebay:
[ eBay: AQUARIUM HIGH COMPACT LIGHT 72" JEBO 384 WATT W/FANS (item 250069041036 end time Jan-05-07 15:49:57 PST) ]
AQUARIUM HIGH COMPACT LIGHT 72" JEBO 384 WATT W/FANS

I paid $249, not including shipping in JAnuary 07. By MAy, it started to break down. 3 of the 4 lights have dead wires. One light and the moons still working.

I contacted the vendor, there is no warranty so I asked if I can buy something and fix it myself. No response.

I even called local electricians and offered to bring it over . . . no takers.

Anyone here have advice for me?

THANK YOU!!!

A Dim One in New Jersey

vdituri

That sucks. Have you tried a lighting supply store?
I don't know if you have them, but we have Lightbulbs Plus here and they do repair work.
It must be salvageable, at the very least you should be able to get a retro kit to gut it and re-install balasts and bulbs.
It is usually the balasts that go out, then possibly wiring.
Oh yeah, the bulbs too. :)

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Can you contact the JEBO company directly? They may repair their own fixtures; though I'm not sure you'd want them replacing it with the same lower grade materials....

burning2nd

How do you know its wires?

if thats the case you can replace wire by wire from grounds to connectors.... or from ballests to lgihts.... wire by wire (WITH DIFFRENT OR SAME COLOR WIRE)

how sure are you of the cause?

BoomerD

This is yet another example why I always try to discourage people from buying Oddysea. They seem to build low-quality products, and with no warranty, and have NO customer service. It's kind of tough to troubleshoot over the net, (especially w/o pics) but you CAN usually replace ballasts with those you buy from sponsors, but by the time you deal with all that, you're paying a sizeable chunk of a new light fixture. Depending on what's really wrong with the Oddysea, it might be easier and cheaper to throw the think in the junk pile and buy a better quality product.

lcstorc

I was looking at lights just last night and found some real cheap. Then I remembered and looked elsewhere.