can i keep a pink skunk clownfish with my 2 occelaris clowns?

baggsy01

can i keep a pink skunk clownfish with my 2 occelaris clowns happily in my 20 gallon without any fighting between the two sub-species? the pink skunk seems to look and act totally difrent so im wondering if anyone has tryed this successfully? the pink skunk acts more damselish to me..?

PIMPALA

they are all damselfish.

and you can try it, but one or more of them will likely end up dead.

baggsy01

thanks, i know they are all damselfish but the pink skunks i've seen in my LFS all seem alot calmer than the occelaris and perculas and act more like the 'true' damsels you can buy for really cheap.. was just wondering as i have 2 clowns which aren't really aggressive to eachother and the pink skunks just seem so docile its unreal.. i might have to try and trade my clowns for a pair of skunks :(

reefergirl

NO!! they will fight, and especially in a smaller tank, it's even more likely. I was advised to not even mix colors of the same sub species (orange misbars with black misbars), but in a big enough tank, mixing colors would be more likely to be OK. Never ever mix types though (ie, occelaris with skunk, misbar with picasso, etc.) I was kind of disappointed in this as well, since I really wanted to add a maroon with my misbars, but my LFS wouldn't even sell me one to try it due to having other types of clowns. And we have a 55 gal, so a 20 would DEFINITELY a big no.

PIMPALA

sounds like you have a good LFS.

oh, and i'd get rid of my pair of maroons if i could catch them. and the nems. such a PITA

baggsy01

thanks for all your input guys, i couldnt find any of this info regarding these exact sub-species on the net, guess i'll have to beg my LFS for a trade

reefergirl

sounds like you have a good LFS.

oh, and i'd get rid of my pair of maroons if i could catch them. and the nems. such a PITA

Why would you get rid of the maroons? They look great! Are they more trouble to care for than any other clown? And thanks, I love our LFS. Best around, and anymore, we won't shop anywhere else.

modulok

I have one occelaris and pink skunk in my RSM250. Both are pretty small, the pink skunk is about 2.5", the other a bit smaller. No major fighting to speak of, sometimes the pink skunk will chase the other from his bed (toadstool leather coral) after lights out.