Can I change the angle of the coral?

tlnlanky

I've read alot of info concerning proper placement in relation to lighting and flow etc. My question is can I mount a coral at more of a vertical angle on my LR or do most corals require being placed "face up" to the lights.
I have a candy cane that I would like to mount at an angle on the LR but not sure thats ok, the hard portions of the coral all point in same direction as though it needs be be mounted with polyps directed up toward the lights.

Any thoughts?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You can place them at an angle they will eventually grow towards the light.

DaveK

I do not entirely agree with Eric on this.

Soft corals, zoas, mushrooms and the like may be mounted in any reasonable position and as Eric pointed out, will grow toward the light.

Other corals, especially some LPS corals, have long deep cavities that run way into the corals skeleton. These should be mounted upright so the light can get down inside them. This also applies to clams.

GlassMunky

I have my Candy Cane on a rock basicly coming straight at the front of the tank. All the polyps open up BIG and seem real happy, even the ones slightly shaded by the others.

tlnlanky

Thanks for the opinions everyone. DaveK, I get what you mean, some corals may not do well when mounted at different angle than original growth. Some corals pickier than others. Right now my candy cane is sitting on bottom of tank in moderate/low flow - still won't open up. Not sure if it needs to be up higher - it was in a low flow, low light area of the dealers very large show tank.

molsen187

what kind of light did the dealers tank have? if it was stronger than yours, that may be why it was on the bottom of his tank. you may have to put yours up higher in the tank.