Can Cardinal Tetras be mixed with Rainbowfish?

AJinNY

I ask because even though both species are peaceful, the cardinals prefer SOFT water and I think the rainbow prefer HARD water.

The rainbows seem to be doing well and they are eating a lot when I feed them. However, whenever Ihad cardinals, they never seem to survive....does this have to do with the water being too hard for them?

Any advice? Thanks!

PEMfish

If you have a lower PH ( 5.5 -6 would be ideal ) most species will work fine together. Watch HH3, NO2, & NO3. Also a good acclimation is key.

AJinNY

I use tap water...so Im guessing the ph is about 7....how do I get it lower?
And if it is lower would the rainbowfish be ok? I dont want to stress them out.

Question within a question....if I get cardinals, can I keep the long finned rosy barbs I have or will the barbs use the cards as an expensive lunch?

naperenterprise

Rosy Barbs will get pretty big.
If you "don't" have live plants, try the fresh water salt in your tank. I always loved it.

PEMfish

Don't tamper with the PH. Just find fish that will live in your PH. Verify it and I will dig up a few for you. What size tank?

AJinNY

this freshwater tank i have is small...20 gallons...but everything i have gotten is doing very well....i want tomake some room so Im probably going to "donate" the long fin rosy barb back to the lfs.

But Id love to have cardinals but I hope they can survive. I use tap waer and in my area the water is 7....give or take a smidge....i think its fine for my rainbows which seem to be doing well....but the cardinals wont like it.

You think the cards can make it in a ph that high?

naperenterprise

I agree, Never messed with the PH.

Only with African Ciclids and Discus did I worry about PH.

Let your fresh water community fish adapt to your water... It will be much easier... Using and RO/DI might be a good idea too... I never did, but now that I know about the RO/DI I would definatly use that if I had fresh water fish...

reefjitsu

You shouldn't have trouble keeping cardinals at higher pH, you just won't be able to breed them.

AJinNY

ok thanks.

but:

1.) Cardinals will peacefully coexist with the larger but peaceful rainbowfish, right?

2.) Mixing cardinals with the long-finned rosy barbs is NOT a good idea, correct?

3.) Is it true cardinals are harder to keep than neon tetras?

Thanks for the input....its been a long time since Ive been doing a freshwater tank!!

dianezoo

I have a small 10 gal Cardinal tank on my kitchen counter. It looks really nice becuase the counter top is black corian and the gravel is black and the back ground is black. With the Cardinals I have a group of Harliquin Rasboras and a group of 7 Ghost shrimp. I know the Ghost shrimp are ment to be food, but they are awesome to watch and do very well with these tiny fishes, as well as adding interest they show up with their clear bodies in the black tank.
These tiny fish rivel some SW fishes for beautiful color when they are massed together. Hope you have great luck with yours.
Diane

AJinNY

1. Yes

2. Incorrect

3. Depends on water and husbandry

you mean for #2 the long finned rosy barb WILL get along with the cardinal tetra? I thought they would nip and since the cardinals are so much smaller they wouldnt stand a chance.

RyanG

Gernerally freshwater fish are very adaptable they come from rivers and lakes which are changing constantly in their temperature and ph, the species above are the only ones that are sensitive to changes that I have heard of even african chilids are relatively hardy compared with discus. I wouldnt mess with the ph much myself.

naperenterprise

Yeah Ph is no big deal with fresh water. They like a range between 7 and 8...

I like to keep African's around pH range: 8.5-9.2, other than that don't even worry about it.

PEMfish

Well, they can work out together. But may not. Barbs are known nippers, yes. But if done just right, it may work out ok.

SubRosa

If you want to keep Cardinals with Rainbows try another species such as Iriatherina wertheri which prefer the same type of water.

John

ramora

From my experience they are pretty hardy not like thier cousin the neon tetra.
You might also like some white cloud mountain minnows longfin of course.