Can anyone clue me in on some nano lighting.

jesse_224

I have a very basic tank set up right now and am looking to upgrade my lighting. My aquarium is just the basic 10 gal. Anyone have any suggestions that wont completely break me? Is it true that you need about 10watts per gallon????

ReefLady

Staff member
Depends on what you want to keep. A single 55W retro would probably do for softies and LPS.

jesse_224

To tell you the truth Im not exactly sure what I want to keep yet. Can you post a link to a good place to get a 55w retro?

tinyreef

if you already have a basic and you're looking to upgrade, i'd suggest you save until you can do it all the way versus doing to what you can afford now and then thinking of upgrading again after another while.

go for a metal halide setup. 70W minimum to 175W maximum. i prefer to supplement with actinics but some people just do the mh with a higher kelvin rating instead (for the blue).

hellolights.com, championlighting.com, or marinedepot.com are all good (and affordable) lighting sources i've used.

if you retro, go for the 96W quad. the 55W/65W may be too long for your typical setup/canopy. good luck!

dave00gt

you know you can also do the standard hood, and take of those incandescent bulbs and replace them with 2x 20watt self ballasted coralife 50/50 mini Power compact bulbs, along with some reflectors, i did this and i am keeping alive and supporting a small acro frag and a montipora frag as well.:whstlr:

jesse_224

Thanks for the advice. I have been thinking about doing that, but I think I have decided to go for the Coralife 96w quad. Does what you are running look pretty good??

dave00gt

jesse_224 said:
Thanks for the advice. I have been thinking about doing that, but I think I have decided to go for the Coralife 96w quad. Does what you are running look pretty good??

it looks good, but not extreme colors yet, but i am sure that 96 watt would be awesome, make sure you buy a desk fan , to be blowing on that tank to keep it cool.

Snelly40

I just added a metal halide Viper K-2, its a 150 watt on my 25 gallon, but they also make a 75 watt which might work for ya.
i got it at bluezooaquatics.com