Can a fish get too fat?

Creekview

I just got a good look at my lawnmower blenny. He looks like he's got a beer gut! His belly is huge! I've been trying to get a photo, but he's too skittish. When he perches on a rock he looks just like Jabba the Hutt from Star Wars.

Creekview

I do feed quite a bit, but he doesn't eat any of the food that I've seen. He's constantly "mowing" the rocks and macroalgae. He doesn't damage the macros. I think he's eating 'pods and the live mysid that live in abundance in the tank.

Smoker

I was worried about my fat duck. The feed store guy said there's fat ducks like there's fat people.

Snid

Basile's post is a good one to read. One thing that I should have mentioned in it that I'll mention here is that fish are opportunists when it comes to eating. They don't have a concept of time, nor do they fully understand that they will be fed regularly even if they recognize you or others as potential feeders. What they do understand is that when they see food that they can get their mouths on, they will do so. So it is easy to overfeed them as they will help you with that notion. Most fish won't pass a meal by thinking,"oh... I'll wait for tomorrow's meal." They just think,"My stomach has room for more therefore I must fill it."

Creekview

Thing is with my lawnmower blenny it's impossible to control what he eats. Same thing with my mandarin and scooter blenny. Fat as all get out due to the live food available. I've been collecting scientific studies from the last 20 years or so regarding the paradox of coral reef environments being low nutrient. Basically the research on benthic systems shows that reef systems are actually high nutrient. Otherwise there is no way to explain the density and diversity of life on the reef.

Wolffman64

I love my LB. Like most LBs, he is fat!
Mine eats like there's no tomorrow, I can see his "lip-prints" on any algae-spot on the glass, and he eats anything I feed from pellets to frozen food. He looks like he's swallowed a marble :yup: