Camera lens help.

blue_eyes53813

Travis that site is awesome.. I have been reading since you posted the link.. Great-awesome informative site... But still not as good as RS... lol I will be right back, i need to read some more on there.

Cougra

Travis,
would any of those lenses mentioned be good for landscape photography or should a more specialized wide angle lens be used? I've heard that the lens should at least cover the 17 or 18 mm range for good landscape photos.

althea2you

i use a 100mm macro canon lens f/2.8 and love it!!! i use it for a lot. it limits you though as in how close to the subject you are trying to capture is... i also have 2 zoom lenses, one goes to 300 and one goes to 200... not too fond of them as they are the cheaper version and dont get a great quality shot when zoomed all the way out... just thought i would add my 2 cents!

PEMfish

It depends on the landscape. And the farther you are from it, the bigger lens you need(+mm). But thats not a goal, Get as close to the object as you think you should be, then get closer. You'll need a wider lens. A 18 - 28mm ( not zoom, no zooms are good. ) is good to have. A 45mm is always a friend. A 135mm, to tell what will fit in its frame, hold out your hand at arms length, palm/hand flat facing you. what that covers is what will make the shot.

zimboy

Possibly look at someof the aftermarket lenses. They are almost always cheaper and often no noticeable difference in picture quality. Especially if you are going with primes. In the zoom market and telephoto market you can literally save yourself hundreds of dollars going with aftermarket. Start with Sigma, my personal fave of the aftermarkets.