Calling all master reef plumbers! Confused noob inside.

Hornet

I need some help plumbing my system.

The picture on the left shows the flow from my 1500gph overflow (two 1.5" drains) down to my sump and back through two 1"returns in the back glass. I realized that I drilled those returns a little to low. I'd rather not spend the cash on anti siphon valves there but I don't think I have a choice. I guess I could consider bringing the return from the sump over the top but I really did not want to do that. (opinions on this section welcome)

The picture on the right is the flow for the closed loop, a dart and a OM-4way. The main question I have is what do I need to put on the two returns in the front bottom glass of the tank? Just a ball valvle? anti siphon, or true union. I'm thinking I can just have ball valves on the ones in back glass so I can close them off when I need to remove the OM or the dart.

I plan on plumbing most everything with flex pvc. The return pump is going to be in the stand and the CL pump will be directly behind the stand. Let me know if anything else in the pictures seem wierd to you. This plumbing is really putting a whipping on me. I'm sure I'll notice something else is missing once I get all the plumbing and fittings and start piecing things together.

DTSump-ver2.jpg
Closed-Loop-ver2.jpg

reefmasta

i do this. go straight up with a thread on PVC 3/4 to the hight you need with 2 'T's with a ball valve on both so you can run your UV steralizer off it and you have an extra valve so when your P.skimmer pump goes out you can use flex anddont have to buy a new pump =) then after the 2 Ts i put another at the top if you have 2 overflows and run ridged flex (use ridged so no kinking goes on) from both sides to my supply

sorry if it dont help =(

funkpolice

I would put in at least one extra tee with a union and cap on it, in case you ever want to add a reactor or even another tank.
bill

Hornet

Are you guys saying I should add a tee w/cap coming out of my sump before my return pump. Just in case the drawing is confusing the yellow box next to the sump is a return pump.

Also I'm not talking about using spa flex I'm going to be using flex pvc that gets glued int sched. 40 fittings just like rigid pvc. I may be wrong but I don't think that will kink up. I think the flex will be a bit easing for some of the runs on my CL.

I can still use some help deciding what to put under the stand for the 2 returns that are fed from the OM 4-way. I'm not sure what will be best? ball valvle? anti siphon, or true union. I'm kinda thinking a True Union valve will do. As that will give me the ability to close it off if I need to remove the OM-4way. I'm thinking an anti-siphon won't do anything for me on these returns. The picture may not clearly show what I'm doing but the pipe at the bottom of the drawing is going to be some pvc angled toward the font of the reef.