call me paranoid

tommyp

Just bought a piece of fiji LR from the LFS and am kinda afraid to put it into my esttablished tank. Is there anything I can do to it short of boiling that can assure it doesn't carry anything bad like ich into my tank.

Thanks

Tom

fidojoe

Fish Addict
I would say, if you are worried, QT it for a couple of weeks, which will also help to cure it, because sometimes the lfs's rock isn't fully cured.

tommyp

Yeah i guess I could quarantine it but my qt tank is not up. I guess I am probably going to give it a freshwater dip and then put it in.

Cougra

You could put it in a bucket with an airstone and a strip light over top for a couple weeks instead of a q-tank. Keep an eye on the water readings and change the water once or twice if need be.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
im with the bucket QT....your tank is too beautiful to let a little piece of rock bring it to it's knees!!!

mredman

If the liverock was in a tank without fish for a couple of days, the infective trophonts of ich would not have been able to find a host and would die. The bigger risk would be that the rock may not be fully cured and could cause a spike in ammonia. If the LR was sitting in the LFS tank for a couple of weeks, I would add it to the reef tank.

.....and hope it does not have killer polychaetes, aitapsias or mantis shrimp.

Mike

Maxx

.....and hope it does not have killer polychaetes, aitapsias or mantis shrimp.
And Aliens....Mike forgot to mention aliens......come in on the live rock from fiji all the time.
Nick

tommyp

well I put it in

I wasn't really thinking before I bought the rock. It is only a 2lb piece and had been in the store for at least 3-4 months so I know it was fully cured. I didn't really think about it carrying anything into my tank untill I brought it home. I imagine everything will be fine. I stuck it in the sump for now. Until I start my aquascaping.

The thing that scares me about my LFS is that all the tanks are connected and you never know what the hell is in there.

I'll be more careful next time or justt place my order for dry rock and not worry.

Thanks

Tom

Montanareefer

Has been struck by the ban stick
I have bought a piece of LR from time to time from the LFS that has been there long enough and cured and have put it right into my tank and have had no problems. One piece was 9lbs!:eek:

mwrager

I used my bath tub for 2 weeks when i got some new rock to make sure i was not getting any thing bad :bigblue: