Calibrating PH monitor

MINIATUS

I have a pinpoint Ph monitor and noticed that its not reading. I got a 1 on the montior. How often do the need to be calibrated, or just soak them to clean off the tip. Any one, please.

MINIATUS

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Ideally, they should be recalibrated every 2-3 months using the 7 & 10 ph fluids. Make sure to never let the probe dry out!

Gina

RS STAFF
You could try cleaning it first and then I would calibrate it again to make sure it's working properly.
Remember not to let the tip dry out.
They suggest that you re-calibrate every few months.

MINIATUS

Im going into town today, so I will get some new calibrating solution. Thanks for the quick response as usual.:clink: :thumbup:

MINIATUS:whstlr:

MINIATUS

After tring to recalibrate I couldnt get it to work, so I contacted the people I bought it from and he put Me in direct contact with Lou Dell from American marine. After some time we figured out the problem.Appaerently the lighting or other electrical devises cause mass intereference with the adapter. I put in a fresh battery and it works like a charm. I have to get a filter if I want to use the adapter. More money.
Anyway there you have it.

MINIATUS:bugout:

billyr98

Thanks for info Miniatus, never had any issues with my adapters, but it is a good thing to keep in mind for the future..

Mad Mike

MINIATUS said:
After some time we figured out the problem.Appaerently the lighting or other electrical devises cause mass intereference with the adapter. I put in a fresh battery and it works like a charm. I have to get a filter if I want to use the adapter. More money.
Anyway there you have it.

MINIATUS:bugout:

There is another way around this, if you are using the same outlet for all the devices; lighting,monitor ect you can put your monitor on a dedicated grounded line and it should eliminte and distortion from the electronics.

I can't see your lighting being a problem unless it's all magnetic ballasts, most electronic ballasts run pretty clean and are free of most harmonic distortion.

As a common pratice you should also make sure any data lines, ie. probe lines are not around any electrical cables.

billyr98

Mad Mike said:
There is another way around this, if you are using the same outlet for all the devices; lighting,monitor ect you can put your monitor on a dedicated grounded line and it should eliminte and distortion from the electronics.

I can't see your lighting being a problem unless it's all magnetic ballasts, most electronic ballasts run pretty clean and are free of most harmonic distortion.

As a common pratice you should also make sure any data lines, ie. probe lines are not around any electrical cables.

I don't see how a dedicated ground line would help with a PH monitor since they only have a transformer without a ground prung... They only have 2 prungs..

cecilio

hi
i like to calibrate mine once a month, also after i use it ,i clean it with freshwater and keep it in storage fluid, the storage fluid you can buy it at marinedepot, i believe the storage fluid is very inportant to keep the probe in shapealso i keep all fluids in the refrigerator to avoid evaporation

MINIATUS

Anyway once I got the battery in and recalibrated I found My PH at 7.8. A little reef buffer and its now back to8.2

MINIATUS

MINIATUS

Way ahead of you. Alk is great but Im not happy with Calcium level but at this moment there is nothing in the tank that really uses it.

MINIATUS

Kensn

I am going to have to research the effect of temp on PH. I am sure my calibrating solutions are cooler than the tank water.... I am curious of how much the PH can swing with the temperature.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
After some time we figured out the problem.Appaerently the lighting or other electrical devises cause mass intereference

These meters are famous for this, it is a common problem especially when running them on AC rather than on the DC battery. You are using an adapter, so I take it is DC, as you put in a new battery. That is also a new one to me.

MINIATUS

Boomer said:
After some time we figured out the problem.Appaerently the lighting or other electrical devises cause mass intereference

These meters are famous for this, it is a common problem especially when running them on AC rather than on the DC battery. You are using an adapter, so I take it is DC, as you put in a new battery. That is also a new one to me.

Boomer you can use either. The adapter for this has a end cap like you would see on a battery.