Calcium Tests over 500 ppm and I Furious

snaz

:grr:
I just went out and bought a SeaTest Calcium test kit for $20.00, what a piece of crap, I think :rolleyes:

I proceeded to test my tank water and it is reading above 500 ppm :bouncebox which is the limit of what the test kit can measure. I've read that a calcium level of 500ppm is almost impossible to achieve in a reef tank.

Then I proceeded to mix up some fresh sea water using some DI water and some Kent marine salt. Next I conducted another Calcium test on the SeaWater that I just mixed, guess what, It tested above 500ppm :grr:

At the same time that I’m getting the test results my wife beeeuachess at me saying that I spend more time with my fish tank then her. I wanted to say,,,,,,,,,,, ahhh never mind.

Tomorrow I'm calling Aquarium systems and I’m telling them that there test kit is incorrect; my tank should never test above 500ppm, and that its there problem not mine.

Before I go off on Aquarium systems, I wanted to get some input from fellow reefer’s. Do you think it is it possible that my tank and the freshly made seawater is above 500ppm?

My alk is about 3 DKH
PH is 8.3
Temp is 76F
Salt is 1.023

Anyone have some advice?

BTW, the test kit has a expiration date of May-2007.

ReefLady

Staff member
It's possible that it's close. I would confirm the results using a seachem or salifert test first.

I've had CA off the charts with oceanic salt, and I blame the salt company.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
I would do as Travis has suggested - Get a new test kit by either Salifert or Seachem. If you have reached the max the test reads......(for salifert, I haven't used a Seachem Ca testkit), then fill the syringe again, and continue titrating. Add the results together. FWIW - when I used Oceanic salt, my Ca was way above 500 ppm.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Is your alk 3 meg/l or 3 dkh? Big difference.

I would check the calcium level using either an Aquarium Pharmaceutical or a Salifert test kit. Both of these test kits are accurate. I am not familiar with the test kit you are using.

I use oceanic salt and it has a very high calicum and a low alkilinity... when I buffer (raises alk) the newly made salt water the alk is raised and the calcium drops. This ceates a good balance.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Sorry, I just reread you post... you alk of 3 dkh is VERY low! If you buffer it with a sodium carbonate to increas the alkalinity your calcium will drop accordingly. With an alk that low it is VERY possible to have a ca of 500ppm.

You can use 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda per 50 gallons of water ONCE per day to increase the alk. This will push your calcium DOWN.

If your PH is 8.2 or lower use sodium carbonate for buffering.
If your PH is 8.3 or higher use a sodium bicarbonate for buffering.

The alk should be 2.5-4 meq/L or 7-11 dKH

HTH

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems

If alkalinity were less than 4 meq/L (11 dKH; the most common situation in zone 4; shown in Figure 5), I would advise correcting this problem by adding an alkalinity supplement until you have moved into the target zone (or zone 1). For systems with a pH of 8.2 or above, baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) is a good choice. For systems with a pH below 8.2, washing soda (sodium carbonate) is a good choice (though use some baking soda too if the correction is a large one and the pH gets too high; that is, above pH 8.5 or so).

In gauging how much to add, here are some rough guidelines:

Baking Soda

To raise 50 gallons of tank water by 1 meq/L will require about 16 grams of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate; sodium hydrogencarbonate). Since a level teaspoon of baking soda weighs just under 6 grams, then 1 teaspoon will raise the alkalinity in that 50 gallons by ~0.4 meq/L (~1 dKH).

Washing Soda

To raise 50 gallons of tank water by 1 meq/L will require 10 grams of washing soda (sodium carbonate). Since a level teaspoon of washing soda weighs just over 6 grams, then 1 teaspoon will raise the alkalinity in that 50 gallons by ~0.6 meq/L (~1.7 dKH).

One special note about washing soda: Apparently some Canadian brands of washing soda contain surfactants. VIP brand, in particular, contains them and a reef keeper using them on my advice turned his tank into a bubble bath. On questioning, the manufacturer did indicate that a surfactant is present. The same reef keeper says the local Arm & Hammer brand in Canada smells strongly of perfume. I’d avoid perfumed brands, if possible. My Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda purchased in the US apparently contains no significant surfactants, and is not perfumed. Nevertheless, anyone using washing soda for the first time ought to put some in water and stir it around to see if soapy bubbles form. If so, I’d suggest finding another brand.

Many commercial alkalinity supplements will also be fine for this purpose, as long as no significant calcium is added. In general, I don’t prefer those that contain substantial borate. The alkalinity component of the two-part calcium and alkalinity additive systems would be OK. You CANNOT use limewater or a calcium carbonate/carbon dioxide reactor to correct this problem. Any of the balanced calcium and alkalinity additive systems will move you parallel to the line at the left edge of the zone, while you want to move over to it, and cross it.

If alkalinity is more than 4 meq/L (11 dKH; an uncommon situation), then you can safely either do nothing until it drops and you need to add more alkalinity, and treat it as suggested in the previous two paragraphs, or you can add some alkalinity immediately, move into zone 1, and then just let it drop on its own.

Warnberg

Woodstock, that would actually make perfect since, Alk and Calcium levels are very much related so a high Calcium level and a low Alk level would be expected otherwise there would be a snow storm (calcium precipitating out) in the tank.

Snaz, don't get mad, your test kit my be right on the money, slowly ovet the next few days get that alk level back up to where is should be and your calcium levels will come down as well.

Here is a good artical to read:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

Good luck

snaz

:)
Cool, I'm glad I asked before going postal on my Ca test kit.

Thanks for all the valuable information, my Coral & Clams will love you for this. This all makes perfect sense.

My PH is 8.3, Alk 3dkh, and my Ca is 500+ ppm, so I'm thinking about doing what Woodstock posted, add baking soda.

Has anyone used baking soda with success, Also what brand of Baking soda did you use?

Can baking soda cause any problems with phosphates?

Thanks
Snaz

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Keep an eye on your PH if you use baking soda because it will drop it a bit.

Baking soda is sodium BIcarbonate.... but you can change it to sodium CARbonate by baking it in the oven (300 deg for one hour). I choose to use the sodium CARbonate (baked baking soda) since I need the PH boost.

If your PH is 8.2 or lower use sodium carbonate for buffering.
If your PH is 8.3 or higher use a sodium BIcarbonate for buffering.

I've never had any phosphate issues using it.

:)

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Ohh... make sure you make the increase gradually! No more than 1/2 teaspoon per 50 gallons per day.

snaz

What do you think about this plan of attack? for increasing my Alk levels and reducing mu Ca levels.

Do a 30% water change using near perfect seawater?

Then dose baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), on a daily basis (PH is 8.3) until Alk and Ca levels are in check.

Do you think the 30% water change will cause too big of ashock on the live stock?

Thanks
Brad

Yarr

alk, salinity, calcium, PH, nitrate, amonia, phosphate.... dude.. so many tests and levels to kep right.. i think i might just be better off throwing all my stuff in the oceanand letting nature take care of it :)

or then again.. i think i will spend uber more money and persist :)

snaz

Everything is under control :jumprope:

Ca 500 ppm
Alk 4 meq/l
PH 8.2

My tabletop Acro is growing :)

Thanks
Snaz

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Your calcium is still at 500ppm even with the increased alkalinity? Are you adding any supplements?

Keep an eye on your newly made salt water. Be sure to test it for ca, alk & ph and make any adjustments to it before putting it in your aquarium.

Yarr

I guess it also neds ime ot settle back down. THere will be trace elements of stuff in there for a while until it is all used up. I doubt just changing the water during normal water changes will greatly affect it in the immediate short term.