Calcium is a little low. About 100 too low

How can i boost the calcium in my aquarium. I just got it tested for the first time b/c I don't have any corals in the new tank yet and wanted to make sure. What can i do to boost calcium?

ReefLady

Staff member
Not knowing the size of the aquarium, or what you have in it, the best method I would suggest is regular water changes. Most good salt mixes contain enough calcium to keep levels where you need them, and balanced, unless you have a very high calcium demand.
If you are thinking about keeping corals, you'll want to buy your own ca test, as you'll need to test regularly - along with an alk and a magnesium test.

Not knowing the size of the aquarium, or what you have in it, the best method I would suggest is regular water changes. Most good salt mixes contain enough calcium to keep levels where you need them, and balanced, unless you have a very high calcium demand.
If you are thinking about keeping corals, you'll want to buy your own ca test, as you'll need to test regularly - along with an alk and a magnesium test.

the tank is only a 10. everything else is perfect especially salinity. it was premixed at our pet store and brought home. i am taking 6 gallons out and changing it with already fish ready water from the pet store that isn't being used. thanks for helping.

I have ordered a testing kit from walmart.com here is the link to it. Walmart.com: Tetra Laborett Master Aquarium Water Test Kit: Fish
i test my water every day lol so i would be needing this b/c my boyfriend doesn't work on mondays wednesdays or sundays.

Last edited:

ReefLady

Staff member
Do you know what the salinity is? The LFS will tell you it is good, but typically the salinity of their water will run extremely low. You want about 1.025. LFS's often keep their pre-mix at about 1.012 or 1.022.

Do you know what the salinity is? The LFS will tell you it is good, but typically the salinity of their water will run extremely low. You want about 1.025. LFS's often keep their pre-mix at about 1.012 or 1.022.

no i don't he just said it was perfect i will see if they still have my water or if he remembers the reading from earlier. just got off the phone they said it was 1.025. my boyfriend tested it this time so he wouldn't lie to me. lol.