Calcium/DKH issues

carmexx

A little background...I have a 46 bow front reef tank with 10 gal sump.

Equipment -
SWC 120 skimmer
Aquatinics TX5 Light
Tunze 6045 PH
Mag 7 return pump

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww179/carmexx_1/059_zpsf3307d2f.jpg[/IMG

The latest tests came back as of 1/2/2013...
MG 1400
DKH 7.7
CA 365
SG 35ppt

It seems that my alk and ca are low and have been like that for a few months. I have dosed for both (Kent DKH buffer and CA)....without any success.
I am concerned it might be my salt. I have purchased Brightwell Aquatics bucket most recently. I have used H2O Ocean pro plus and Reef Crystals in the past.
I am looking now to go to Instant Ocean b/c I have seen many people are using this salt and are happy with it. My SW changes haven't been as frequent lately as they have in the past though.....I have slipped on my husbandry. I am now just trying to regroup and get a grasp on the water chemistry.

carmexx

OOPS! my pic link didn't work....

059_zpsf3307d2f.jpg

DaveK

You tank looks good, and the readings your getting are really not that far off. Unless you see a big change in how the system looks, just keep doing what your doing.

As a note, Ca, Alk, Mg and so on are all dependant upon SG. If that is low all your reading will be low. For testing SG, I highly recommend a refractometer. It's money well spent.

reefer gladness

If you're looking to establish a dosing routine the key is keeping a log and frequent testing until you reach your target levels and maintain them for a few weeks. The waterchanges are replenishing calcium, buffer, mag plus a bunch of trace minerals so it's best not to slack off on this routine.

I would test a couple hours after you do the water change or the day after. Dose calc and alk if needed and then test the next day. If you don't see an increase in levels bump up your dose a little and test the next day until you see it begine to rise slowly. Be careful not to increase alk too quickly. When you reach your target levels back off on the dosing again and continue testing daily, then every other day until you get back to the point where you just need to confirm levels are on target after you do the weekly water change routine.

+1 on the refractometer too and quality test kits.

PS - remember most liquid dosing products need to be shaken to mix the contents.

carmexx

Sorry I forgot to mention that the SG reading was with a Sybon Refractometer.

Test Kits are red sea. Thanks for the info guys.