Calcium and Kalk

Reefstick

I need some input guys and gals.....I recently stopped dossing Kalk, because I found a really good Calcium brand (tropic marin) that has been keeping my levels at 430-450.

Do you think I should continue putting kalk in even though my calcium stays put now????
The only reason I ask is because I have noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of fan worms and other lil' calcerous things in the tank, it has been nice because I don't have to scrape them off the glass anymore. I have notice also that my Sps corals are gowing faster now.

Has anybody got any ideas on this one?????
Let me know.:coffee:

Last edited:

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
When you were dripping kalk were you having trouble maintaining cal/alk levels ? Why the change to a 2 part ? Since you've been dosing calcium how have you alk levels been ? Be careful with these supplements and test frequently so you don't overdose.

Reefstick

When you were dripping kalk were you having trouble maintaining cal/alk levels ? Yeah, I didn't even get up to 400 on the cal.

Why the change to a 2 part ? Well,....I tried it out, and noticed a great groth jump in the Sps and Lps corals, so I just kept up with it. (Bio-calcium from tropic marin)

Since you've been dosing calcium how have you alk levels been ? The levels have been stable at 9KH
Be careful with these supplements and test frequently so you don't overdose.
Always.

I and building a calcium reactor very soon, (when I get around to it).

mps9506

Might need to check your Mg levels also.
Kalkwasser can't always handle the Ca and alk consumption in a tank. In which case it becomes nec. to supplement with a two part additive or Ca reactor.
I would probably suggest continuing dripping or dosing kalk for your top off and maintaining levels with your two part. You shouldn't have to use as much two part in the long run this way.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Did you ever check your magnesium level before adding the Bio-Calcium? If the mg level is low, it is impossible to keep ca up. I am guessing the Bio-calcium is correcting this problem :)

This reads to be a great product. Keep using it if it is working for you.

http://www.tropic-marin.com/web/english/produkte/biocalcium.htm
When Tropic Marin Bio-Calcium is dissolved in the aquarium, all 70 trace elements are added...