Calcium and alkalinity Control

cgkrick

I am about 6 months into this hobby and am getting serious about calcium and alkalinity control.

I am testing with API test kits.

Currently Ca is 400 and alkalinity is 14 drops. Trying to raise calcium to 440 and lower alkalinity to 8-12 drops.

I had been using Fiji Gold for calcium but was advised by LFS to use Kent part a and b. now they tell me to use a but not b to increase ca without increasing alkalinity.

Advice please!

cgkrick

I changed to Salifert test kits, much better. Increased water change frequency to 10% per week. Alkalinity has settled in at 10 dKh and is stable. Getting away from the 2 part as the alkalinity is stable without it. Just added some LPS so we will see what that does to Ca demand.

Aquaphile

Can you elaborate on what you mean by "getting away from the 2 part"? Are you planning just using 1 part of the combo or using a separate product altogether? Im fixing to get serious about it as well. I just ordered kits as I have been blindly dosing b-ionic for the past couple months.

cgkrick

I had been adding the Kent 2 part for Ca and alkalinity. I got no impact on Ca but very high alkalinity. So I just started using a Ca supplement. The water changes seem to have reduced and stabilized the alkalinity so until it becomes deficient again, I am sticking with just a Ca additive.