Calcium/Alkalinity problems

My tank has mostly zoos and mushrooms, but I wouldn't say it is loaded. I have one chalice coral but its not doing so well. Since I have only one "hard" coral, I'm assuming it will take a long time for the Ca to lower. Is there anything I can do to lower it myself?

What would you recommend using to raise alkalinity? I have not dosed anything yet. Want to get as much info and opinions as possible before I mess anything up!!

I see one of you recommends using Reef Crystals for salt. Any seconds on that or other recommendations?

I know pH and alkalinity are intertwined sort of, but it seems every supplement I've looked at for alkalinity is for raising pH also. I don't think I need to raise my pH and don't want to risk raising it too high. Any way to raise alkalinity without affecting pH much??

magnetar68

I use SeaChem Reef Builder (not Reef Buffer). Reef Builder does not immediately impact Ph they way Reef Buffer does. In terms of the chemistry, going back to the fact that alkalinity is primarily from a mix of sodium carbonate and sodium bicarbonate, the thing to remember is that /sodium carbonate will raise Ph, but at normal aquarium Ph, sodium bicarbonate will not.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Na

every supplement I've looked at for alkalinity is for raising pH also.

ANY buffer you add will raise the pH some to include Sodium Bicarbonate, it just has less impact on pH. 1 mol of NaHCO3 has a pH of 8.3

magnetar68

Na06003, this might seem confusing, and boomer is technically correct, there will be a change in pH with any buffer, in general, however, the change in pH when adding Sodium Bicarbonate (i.e., backing soda), is minor.

magnetar68

For some real world data, today when I dosed 1 tsp of Reef Builder, (according to my pinpoint pH probe) my pH went from 7.96 to 7.98. And 1 tsp is twice the recommended beginner dosage (I usually dose 1/2 tsp, but wanted to see the effect of 1 tsp; the bottle says it is safe to dose up to 2 tsp per 40 gallons). If I dose 1 tsp of Reef Buffer, it usually goes from 7.96 to about 8.15. So you can see that Reef Builder will not significantly affect pH. (I believe it is mainly Sodium Bicarbonate). But Baking Soda (e.g., Arm & Hammer) is fine too. It is food grade Sodium Bicarbonate. This article is a good source on using baking soda: An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com.

BTW, the exact amount the pH will increase is based on a lot of factors, so everyone's tank will be a little different, but generally, this is the scale of the difference between the two.