Calcium Alkalinity balance calculator

jimeluiz

Here I thought I was doing OK with my calcium and alkalinty levels. Things have been very stable with very little additives, just daily dosing. Then along comes this calculator...

http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/index.htm?http://www.andy-hipkiss.co.uk/caalkcalc.htm

Go figure. How do other people's numbers look when using this feature? Today my calcium read 460 ppm and Alk was 11.6 dkH. Both numbers have been hovering in that neighborhod for weeks. Acording to the calulator I am pretty out of whack. Sigh.

Should I be tweaking the balance? How do your numbers add up?

ReefLady

Staff member
Recommended Ranges

Before getting into problems and solutions, let’s first define what constitutes a problem and what does not. Based on published studies3 involving the calcification of corals and other organisms, I recommend the following:

Alkalinity2 (due to bicarbonate and carbonate but not borate, so those using Seachem salt must raise this value substantially to accommodate the borate being counted in standard alkalinity tests)

2.5 - 4 meq/L or 7 - 11 dKH or 125 - 200 ppm CaCO3 equivalents

Calcium:

380 – 450 ppm calcium ion or 950 - 1125 ppm CaCO3 equivalents

From here:

>Solving Calcium and Alkalinity Problems<

I never recommend getting too caught up in *exact* numbers. Your levels look fine to me...alk is a bit low, but not enough so that I would try to "tweak" anything. Maybe a couple water changes...this usually helps to "balance" things. If everything in your tank looks okay, I wouldn't do anything except the water changes. Keep an eye on the levels, and make sure they don't become more unbalanced, but IMO, your levels are good, and nothing to panic about.

HTH,

Pro_builder

mine turned out balanced exactly. But, to me that doesn't mean much to me, (the calculator)
I agree with Teri on this one. exact # aren't important as a balanced system.

jimeluiz

Right answer, Teri! :cool: I would much rather take a bit of calming advise from others with more experience than begin a cat and mouse game with additives...

The tank really looks good (except for our stubborn orange carnation who will just not reveal its favorite food choice - but she's hanging in there). I am beginning to get my reef legs and understand the confidence others have when they report they monitor their tank more by appearance than by test kits. Feels good.

Scooterman

If you try to tweak it a little, you'll end up having to tweak something else, & something else after that etc...

Cougra

Ah, the wonderful world of theory! It's a great starting point but really doesn't mean it's going to work out in reallity!

For an experiment find out the theoritical balance when you have 360ppm Calcium. You'll find that it comes out with 0 dKh. In theory it's correctly balanced, in reallity if those were my readings I would start to panic a little!!

wooddood

the wood dude
i agree if everything looks like their doing fine i would'nt worry to much.hey if it aint broke dont fix it.just keep an eye on your levels.