cal. i think is low

new2sea

Hello,have a question to ask. Did water test and my cal. is at 380 and my dkh is at12.Dosed one time with reef fusion 1&2. after i dosed.i was wondering if i could dose just part 1 and back off part 2 till my cal. comes up.I have fish and corals,And what is a good number for dkh.Read alot, different people say different things.Some say 6 to 9 others say 8 to 12. what is to high. Thanks,

Pat24601

You can dose one part without the other. I do it all the time because of the balance issues you discuss. They do interact with each other, so it isn't quite as straightforward as it might seem, but you'll get a feel for it.

With your current situation I would dose some part 1 and try to get it a little more in balance.

There are people that disagree with this, but this is the chart Red Sea produces on recommendations. I'd say the key thing is you are OK so long as you are in this ballpark, but try to keep it stable.

image.jpg

blazend

Hello,have a question to ask. Did water test and my cal. is at 380 and my dkh is at12.Dosed one time with reef fusion 1&2. after i dosed.i was wondering if i could dose just part 1 and back off part 2 till my cal. comes up.I have fish and corals,And what is a good number for dkh.Read alot, different people say different things.Some say 6 to 9 others say 8 to 12. what is to high. Thanks,
I always thought cal- 380-400 was fine. As long as you don't go under 300 was what i always based my test off of. I noticed with reef crystals (salt) that my magnesium is always a little low (1200). I then would dose to get it to the 1300 while doing that my calcium would drop (320) or so. Then i would dose calcium. Really the only 2 things i dose for and obviously use a phosphate reactor for phosphate. Getting those 3 in check has made my corals strive.

new2sea

been dosing with reef fusion and have brought my cal. up to 420 nd have droped my dkh down to 9. Have keep an eye on it and see if it stables out.These are my goal numbers to keep.Really need to get a mag.test kit .Thanks for addvice and will keep testing an let all know how i make out

DaveK

When your looking at water parameters, first look at the condition of your livestock. It they are doing well, be very reluctant to change what your doing with the tank.

Also, when it comes to additives of any kind, don't chase numbers. You can often do more harm than good. If you overdo something, it's real easy to turn a minor problem into a disaster. If possible try to do the fix via water changes.

So far the changes you have made are modest, and should not cause a problem. I think your on the right track here. Additives can be good for a one time fix. If you need to use them too often, you might have a deeper issue.

new2sea

I was reluctant on doing anything and yes i did water change was the first thing. Everybody in tank looks well no stress.And doing water test to keepan eye on it. Thanks again for help

Pat24601

When your looking at water parameters, first look at the condition of your livestock. It they are doing well, be very reluctant to change what your doing with the tank.

Also, when it comes to additives of any kind, don't chase numbers. You can often do more harm than good. If you overdo something, it's real easy to turn a minor problem into a disaster. If possible try to do the fix via water changes.

So far the changes you have made are modest, and should not cause a problem. I think your on the right track here. Additives can be good for a one time fix. If you need to use them too often, you might have a deeper issue.

BTW, even though I posted that chart, I want to say I agree with the don't chase numbers philosophy.

Personally, I use(d) that chart to give me some context of what I should view as normalish, but that's about it.

I do dose part 1 and 2 as seems appropriate, but I'm not a zealot about making sure my tank hits any of these numbers. I worry more about stability.

Every time I've got into trouble so far in this hobby, water changes have gone a long way towards fixing it.

new2sea

yes thats what im hoping to do just stabilize.cal. has always been low around 360 do a water change and than it goes up to 380 and drops back down to 360. So thats the only reason for dosing with fusion two part.I like things to be as natural as they can be.Just new to salt water game.I know my numbers are not way off but would like stability. Thanks for all info.